Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Best way to monitor Global stock markets

Not applicable
Hi Everybody, can someone please tell me what is the best web site to use to monitor what is happening globally on stock markets. Currently I use BBC News(Business) and their Market ticker but this does not give me enough info to assess which way local share prices are likely to go. Thanks for your help, best regards
0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
Not applicable
I would also like to know, as I am looking on bloomberg.com. Normally not bad when figures come out and still have time to make a decision. Than I use the Stdb weekly report to see when what figures will be released....
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
I use all the international indices on the OST watchlist which is sent to me by SMS 4 times a day.The only chart I look at is the Dow Jones - also on OST-though couple days behind-the world news is on this chart. Thats me for my 2% return.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I use MS Vista. Add the sidebar on your desktop. Right click on the sidebar, add gadget - stocks 3.3. Add the following yahoo codes: ^DJI, ^GSPC, ^IXIC, ^FTSE, XAUUSD=X, ^cl1, EURUSD=X, USDZAR=X, EURZAR=X. You'll get real time updates to this side bar gadget for free. It's very convenient especially if you're in a day job. Search yahoo for more codes to add.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks for your help am going to try your suggestion now, bestregads
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks for everybodies help. I am going to try all of them and report back. Ta Muchly
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
StanleyB
Contributor
Yahoo finance http://uk.finance.yahoo.com which allows creation of portfolio that I use to monitor international indices and dual listed shares on one page. Most are 15 min delayed prices
0 Kudos
moneybunny
Contributor
Thanks I have set up everything. Just one question why is the time stamp currently showing 06:36 for the FTSE??
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
Good topic -i use reuters which was recommended bt OST- you receive free email before dow opens- but normally i kick of the day listening to 702 business report at 6.3 and 7.3 am to give me a general mood of the market. Sbk daily news letters are also goon .As i trde the Alsi i find the Top 40 tecnical report indispensible.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Are you two MoneyBunnies from the same family?If so why is your surname spelt differently ie.bunny and bunney?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I guess it's because yahoo is US time zone based. The time stamp seems inaccurate, so ignore it, but the pricing generally is spot on.
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Must say thank you to the person naming marketwatch , Although trading alsi, it is a big improvement from the bloomberg site, that I currently to get my up to date info from...
0 Kudos
moneybunny
Contributor
Good question, the 2 differentiates my company accounts from my personal accounts. I hadn't even noticed they were spelt differently
0 Kudos
moneybunny
Contributor
Yes that's what I do I listen to 702 on the way to work and they generally give you the right trend for the day. At what time does the DOW come online? because quite often I see a change in the market around 14h30 and can find no local reason for it.
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
there is good wesit that is called market clocks- it give the time when all the markets open -public holidays.According to market clocks Dow opens at 4.30pm satime- a lot of major annouce ments seems to come out at 2.30 - if there is someone who can tell more about the times of the dow futuers market i would appreciate it
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
0 Kudos