Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Beware Scam Mail

KJR
Frequent Contributor
Just received a mail from "[email protected]" refering to an "activation of your Standard Bank research portal" via a link on the mail and also supplying a temporary password. Looks like a mail from SB but definitely a scam.
0 Kudos
23 REPLIES 23
Terra
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
I have received numerous scam mail looking like they are from Standard Bank saying that a transfer into my account will be expedited if I reply with PIN numbers. What pees me off is that I have forward them all the Standard Bank and they have not even had the decency to thank me for advising them of the problem.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks for the warning. I was about to go there.
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
thanks Rakem; also got one but did not bother to open it. Now will delete it.
0 Kudos
dbm
Frequent Contributor
I also got one. It looks like a security breakdown at Standard. How did they get the email addresses?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Also got this yesterday afternoon..definitely spam. How did they get our details???!
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
also got it...what the hell. im sure someone leaked our addresses!!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
oh people .. less panic more thinking .. they just email random email addresses .. I get them for an FNB account, I never banked at FNB ..
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Come on Simon...It would be easy to try it with your name ..SP Brown or Simon Brown...@ something..LOL ..The question is why can Standard Bank security not do something about it..Imagine the marketing exposure Standard Bank could get if the media and SB published a break through initiated by SB which led to arrests and convictions of guys doing this scamming?
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
random email addresses? cumon, i dnt beleive that...there must be some database in which they managed to obtain the exact addresses, because no one just randomly spells my email address correctly...im no computer geek, is there really a way to do this?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It is definitely from a sold or hacked database,,,but doesn't mean its st banks could be from anywhere. They don't send to random email addresses.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
of course tis random .. they start with [email protected] and go through everything until they get to [email protected] ... remember email is free to send, so the fact that they may have a bilion bounces means nothing .. I have an email address that only 1 person knows .. yet it gets spam ..
0 Kudos
DawieB
Contributor
I think its random, in the sense that our emails have been used on so many different places, i.e. Kalahari, Amazon, Facebook, joke emails forwarded to other people, and then forwarded again and again and again... its easy to get a bunch of email addresses. As for Online Share Trading, it was NOT the source of this scam, because I got the same Research email on my work email, but my Online Share Trading is registered om my home email address, on which I didn't get the research email...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an I didn;t get it yet SB has my email for multiple accounts ..
0 Kudos
dbm
Frequent Contributor
I do not think its random. I have 5 email addresses and the email addresses. I got the email on the address I use for Standard
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an that proves exactly nothing .. an frankly if SB is losing email address's surely we should be much more worried aout passwords and bank details .. not some arb spam email ??
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the real big picture is if you think SB has been hacked an lost email details you shouldn't be chirping on some random forum .. you should be going nucleur .. complain to SB at highest level, go to the press and the banking regulators, the FSB etc. ..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I have a friend who registered a domain in his name.. then when ever he is asked for an email address..ie discovery he simply puts the email as discovery@his name .com///and the same goes for each corperate...then when he gets spam he knows exactly where it was leaked...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
doesn't work either if spammers using random .. for a corporate selling emails is simple not worth the risk/reward .. and if they being hacked, then as per above ..
0 Kudos