Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Blackberry

Werner_1
Super Contributor
anyone online use a blackberry to log onto OST with? I just want to know because for the US trading platforms there are special software written to make trading easier on the go, i am looking at, but want to know if anyone here tried this site out already?
0 Kudos
28 REPLIES 28
divz
Super Contributor
I have a blackberry Bold and can log onto OST via Opera mini cannot get price streamer but can trade on the go
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Divz, whats your experience with the blackberry, is it worthwhile to get one? i have been looking at them and find it quite interesting?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
blackberry is an email phone .. for a real internet phone get a nokia E71 .. an what ever you do don't get an iphone .. price streamer is flash, I know of no phone that enables flash in the browser ..
0 Kudos
petarmales
Occasional Contributor
Hi Simon, this is your Pink Shirt delegate. Hope all is well on your side. I have on order an iPhone 3GS! Your statement?? Have you had bad experiences with the iPhone? Any specifics or do you just generally not like the iPhone? Regards
0 Kudos
Plonky
Super Contributor
I recently qualified for an upgrade of my Nokia... when I spoke to my service provider about the upgrade, they tried very hard to convince me to take an HTC phone... so eventually I got it...havent tried to use it much yet... anybody out there got an HTC ??? Apparently it has the fastest internet access speed, so therefore good for mail and interent trading (???)
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Hi werner i cannot say enough about this phone i travel a lot locally and overseas and cannot believe that there can be a better phone on the market. I have never tried the Nokia E71 that simon is referring to so cannot comment but to say BB is just an email phone is respectfully Simon absolute rubbish. Everywhere you go in Europe you see ppl using BB. I wouldnt get the the touch screen though and would recommend the Bold.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Divz, thanks for the advice, i really seem to like this phone, i also like the applets from BlackBerry App World, i have an account at TD Ameritrade and want this app - http://www.istockmanager.com/blackberry; For me, a proper 'full' keyboard is quite important as i am useless on the standard phone, another point i like the blackberry, then emailing and checking stock prices is the most important other than speaking on phone... i will read some reviews on the Bold but think you gave me a good reason to consider it. thanks.
0 Kudos
Trying
Contributor
I have a BB and battle to connect to this site . What web address are you using ?
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
There are thousands of great apps some free and some not but 2 great free apps are worldmate and viigo. viigo gives you live news feeds incl reuters business, market pulse,BBC,financial podcasts incl cnn can even create watchlist for US stocks etc. email is obviously live and with the bolt on package (costs R60 odd bucks p/m) you have unlimited browsing and email.
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Trying you must use opera mini as a browser and then log as you would from your desktop via the stan bank site
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
DivZ, whats the total cost of the package you mentioned, i see some on Vodacom/MTN are about R350/m, there was a much cheaper one, but i think the phone one gets doesnt have a fast data connection for about R150/m - i really like the idea of the unlimited usage on email/internet.
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Werner i am on a talk 1000 package with vodacom so the phone cost me R350 once off and then i pay R67 p/m in addition to my normal talk contract tariff for the bolt on package which gives you unlimited browsing and email.I think what they are advertising is that in addition to your normal talk contract you are also buying the phone and they are offering a finace package. Think best to speak to them and ask what the once off cost of the phone will be, buy the phone and add the bolt on to your normal contract.
0 Kudos
Trying
Contributor
Thanks . Where do I get Opera mini from ?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Google it and download it
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Just Google Opera Mini and download from their site
0 Kudos
Trying
Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I get lots of pink shirted delegates .. but oddly I do remember you .. my issue is that it is a closed platform and steve jobs decides what is allowed and what is not .. that is counter to what information wants to be .. it wants to be free .. an it is 3G as I understand, HSDPA is way faster ..
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
Hi Divz, did you download opera mini specifically for a BB bold (9000) or a generic version,cant find version for BB bold (9000)on the drop down list?
0 Kudos