Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Bonds for your Pension portfolio-To buy/Sell

CrownA
Super Contributor
I have some of my RA's in Bonds, and I am thinking of putting all of the rest into income funds. Everywhere I read is saying that bond funds are going to go down. I don't understand. If interest rates go up, surely that is good for the bond fund? Experts say the yields will go down - why?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
StanleyB
Contributor
In simple terms: A traditional bond's interest rate is fixed at the time of issue. As interest rates rise, the bond becomes less attractive relative to say money market (or to new bonds that will be issued at a higher inwerest rate). This usually results in the bond capital value reducing such that the % return on the lower capital value more or less stays equal to other available returns of similar risk. Just like the equity market, the bond market can be pricing in changes expected for 1+ years. You may want to go with inflation linked bonds.
0 Kudos
CrownA
Super Contributor
Thanks for that - now I understand
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
The reason free advice is free is because its no good(Michael Caine) I read your posting with a mixture of fear and trepidation. Get your overall asset allocation appropriate to the objectives you have set for yourself financially. I don't believe in luck. ( but here is some really GOOD advice - go and buy yourself a copy of John Kay's book - "the long and the short of it"
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Conversly the reason paid for advice is usually expensive, regardless of its quality, is that people like you believe that it must good advice if its expensive.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
Dear John Its not about "expensive" its about "priced for the service rendered". You pay a plumber R250 an hour -don't you - or do you do it yourself - well if you do then there is no comeback if you end up gazing at Vic Falls. Paid for advice has at least a comeback option - unless its a man of straw you are daling with. Hence you should be prepared to pay for advice - especially on financial matters? If you gather tips at a barbeque you have to know that as you paid nothing you have probably got nothing. In fact this is the closest you will get to the two messengers discussing the market in the lift. That said - my advice to folk is to be very careful if you work in the financial World about what you say at braai's - especially if someone then acts on your "advice"..... Anyway this is bordering on free advice so if you haven't read it, read JOHN KAY's book - that's free but good advice!
0 Kudos