Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Brand Match

partridge
Super Contributor
this is going to throw a cat amongst the food retailers pigeons - and is possibly going to assist PnP to start to recover market share....Its a ready answer as to who is the cheapest when it comes to key branded goods. its so obvious - as to be almost laughable...Only thing is I note that its in force till end November...but someone is clearly thinking....( should lead to an advertising spend reduction )
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
It's only a match....not a price beat. And Max R50, and must be 10 items. Silly advertising....I will stick with Shoprite.
0 Kudos
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
Yeah. I was in PnP Vincent Park EL and they had Brand match labels next to their no name brand biscuits...............
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
it is a clever marketing tool and i beleive will catch attention and customers.i worked for checkers a long time ago and we could have price set systematically at branch at region at provincial and at national level.a region could have the most expensive price and one branch could have cheapest price>comparisons are therefore not particularily practical .
0 Kudos
kels
Contributor
Does offering to match your competitors prices not amount to admitting that your prices are not the cheapest?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
the marketing guys forgot that to attract your competitors customers, you have better the price, not match it....with no caps on quantity, price or time....
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
Firstly PnP is as it turns out the cheapest...( they said it do you believe them?) Secondly every man and his dog knows that the competitive arena here is all built around a hype on LOWER prices - so what this all boils down to is that the average shopper wanting ( without some stupid footslog ) the assurance that the price he or she pays is not beaten by a margin by the competition. So what this does is to ASSURE the purchaser that this is at least as good a price as they would pay elsewhere. They do not want to traipse off down the road to check the price of one item - now they don't have to - I am starting to slip into unconsciousness at this point....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Exactly! Their marketing of this is saying that their prices are the cheapest of 1,000 products and they are checking to make sure of that - go ahead and check and you will never find a cheaper price (well their guys better make sure of that) Maybe a nightmare having to mark new prices in their system all the time though...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
if it was just about price retailing would be the easiest business model int he world .. until everybody hit zero
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
we all know that price is not everything but it sure is important and just to relate what I could see of this programs evident impact I popped in to PnP this am - to inter alia be confronted by all this price match stuff in front of me on the shelves - but also in watching the impact on the shopper saw the lady in front of me had got a voucher for R3.50 - ( for whatever= she was clearly chuffed) and she hadn't from her clothing pitched up in a Roller (!) and I myself saved R8.45 (which they gleefully informed me of on my till slip) on my Lindt Chocolate....suffice to say its so in your face even in this backwater its quite noticeable.... BUT of course - lets see market share and profits......
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
I agree price important but not a match...must be a PRICE BEAT...before you loll into unconsciousness again, think on this...the SHOPRITE shopper not going to come all the way to PNP because he gets nothing ...
0 Kudos