Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Brokerage will Kill you

Not applicable
I have between 20k and 40k in my derivatives account. I trade currencies. This last tax year I lost R2950. If I add up all the brokerage, it comes to 41k. So my trading with a 20k to 40k account actually realised 39k. Not bad, over 100% of my average trading funds. But OST took it all.!
0 Kudos
26 REPLIES 26
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
they didn't take any of it, you gave it to them by over trading and/or not taking costs into account .. I seen this more times then I can count ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sure Simon, I understand that there are costs involved, but my point is that the amount of movement in the price required to cover the costs of trading is so high that it is very difficult to come out on top. Derivative trading is supposed to be short term, but it takes massive market swings to cover the high costs and still make a buck.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
You should print this and put it on the wall. "I must not trade small amounts of money and if I am going to do this I need huge volatility when I do" ...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sounds like a comparative study needs to be done on the various instruments one can trade, i.e. CFD's, SSF's, index futures, currency futures. Risk/costs/potential reward. I have moved from SSF's to index futures.
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
You need to commit more of your cash to well studied trades with bigger volatility on the side yur on. Good luck dude. My opinion trade the shares rather and forget the geared stuff for now.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
trading shares is more expensive (about 0.7% to buy and 0.7 to sell) while CFDs cost only 0.7% both legs. The trick is trade only high probability trades and to have a sensible profit target (anything less than 10% is just not worth it) and to avoid over-trading
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Start by renegotiating your comm's. They are way too high.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
agreed, and that something you need to figure out before hand ??
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
bigger picture here is that the farmer is right .. biggest killers of traders; costs, spread and slippage .. all three need to be managed down as much as possible (they can add up to many % in/out) and hence why ALSI futures so attractive as all three massively low ..
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Simon, high trading cost can be offsetted by good quality, high probability trades.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thank you Simon. I'm not crying into my beer about having lost an insignificant amount of money. What I am putting across is that I made in excess of 100% trading in my currency account and that's good going, but the costs killed it all and then some. So, again, beware, - the Brokerage will Kill you.!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure, and it all needs to be included into an overall trading system
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
farmer, i understand the point you making, you have a good trading strategy but maybe not a good money management sysytem...to get the ultimate reward, which must be maybe three times the stop loss, you have to milk the trend, stay in the trade and exit at predetermined profit targets or at the stop loss...dont exit in between...profit target or stop loss, otherwise you overtrade, chase losses and exit too early...lots of discipline required for this and the EXIT is the Holy Grail of trading...
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
farmer, i understand the point you making, you have a good trading strategy but maybe not a good money management sysytem...to get the ultimate reward, which must be maybe three times the stop loss, you have to milk the trend, stay in the trade and exit at predetermined profit targets or at the stop loss...dont exit in between...profit target or stop loss, otherwise you overtrade, chase losses and exit too early...lots of discipline required for this and the EXIT is the Holy Grail of trading...
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
in short without the discipline in the EXIT...you can be right all of the time and still end up losing!
0 Kudos
Prestonmyhusban
Regular Contributor
good quality, high probability trades
0 Kudos
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
Trade shares, not weapons of cash destruction............
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
probably best advice so far
0 Kudos