Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Brutal

kwagga
Super Contributor
Just when you think you've seen a short term bottom, this thing drops 10% in 5 days. Just shows that if momentum is to the downside, it's just stupid to try and call a bottom. The market can remain irrational longer than you can stay liquid.
0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
FEK
Super Contributor
Agreed and a further 2% down today.
0 Kudos
WES
Super Contributor
Yes Kwagga, I agree 100 %, it like catching falling knifes, and I have caught a couple in my life, like Abil ! eina !The opposite is also true, bulls can be stronger than you think, that is why I dont short any shares any more like Naspers !, but Warren Buffet said that you must buy shares, when the market gets it wrong, the market will obvouisly correct in time, but that takes some guts to do at the time.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Gold shares are affected by macro economic decisions. Fed's tapering is currently impacting these share. USA economic is growing, reduced dependencies to invest in gold for safe haven.
0 Kudos
FEK
Super Contributor
Preston i agree but from about R66 a few months ago to R33, that is a far too harsh in my opinion. This share has been hammered more compared to the other gold shares.
0 Kudos
Prestonmyhusban
Regular Contributor
Are you trading or investing?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Schmidt, Paul (CFO) CA(SA), is buying, so that is a good sign.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Yes. It's received far more punishment than the other goldies, partly because it is under US inquiry for that crooked BEE deal. It's become the dog under the gold shares.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I call that a glimmer of hope. Good sign is stretching it.
0 Kudos
FEK
Super Contributor
We need God to buy, then that will be a good sign :-)
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
It's negative sentiment like this that drives shares down to pockets of deep value. Where that pocket is, is anyone's guess, but I'm willing to guess that is perhaps close to the R25 - R30 range.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
no it not, he's paid to be bullish on gold and gold stocks ..
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Update 15%+ down in 5 days.
0 Kudos
Yatagan
Frequent Contributor
And how much increase on salary did Mr Nic Holland get? And share options.. and R9 million bonus, I think..
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
He is overpaid, but I wouldn't want his job - not in this industry, not in this country. It's a political minefield.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
If you can time your entry price and leave it for 20 yrs, you could be a very rich person.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
20 years ago it traded @5520. I bet someone then said that same exact words. I took one right up the @## for this share in the last week. Payback will be sweet sometime in the future, but I reckon rather brisk. At least now I can open my portfolio page in the morning without a f&^%k you Goldfields greet. It was a spec buy in all fairness, and I did limit my exposure and risk, but my ego did get bruised a little in the process.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Positive thinking, the taxman shared 40% of your pain :-)
0 Kudos
FEK
Super Contributor
Another 2% down this morning, how oversold is this share ?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
The only buy in Gold right now should be if you close out your short. There is a stampede on the short side, so longs are killed in their tracks. If this turns (if), those massive short covering will create a nice bounce. That bounce could be nothing more than a dead cat bounce, but if your timing is good, I guess you could make a few bucks over a few days.
0 Kudos