Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Bubble ?

WES
Super Contributor
The difference between market street and main street, is it a bubble? Equities have recovered unbeleivable, is this due to all the money floating around in the market and because the returns on this money from the money market is so low that it eventually lands in equities ? Consumer spending has not recovered. The man in the street is still down in the debt. So is there a bubble in equities at the moment. I mean the ALSI is over 28000 pionts, should it not be closer to 25,000 pionts ? If there is a bubble and if so, when will it burst ? Comments please.
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
PaulC
Super Contributor
I wouldnt go as far as to say we are in a bubble in equties. Yes they are expensive but no bubble like. Do I see a correction in the near term (6 weeks) yes, but dont expect a repeat of the 2008 smack down (although that would be nice for shorting and then reloading longs!) I agree with you tho that the fundamentals of the main street economy do not support current equity valuations. That said the two can remain dissconnected for a long time. Eventually tho fundamentals will win out. - P
0 Kudos
kingsol
Frequent Contributor
well if there's a retracement it will be seen by the u.s markets ... which will pull us alll down...waitin for a pullback.im out.
0 Kudos
kingsol
Frequent Contributor
well if there's a retracement it will be seen by the u.s markets ... which will pull us alll down...waitin for a pullback.im out.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
i prefer to look at the US Dollar.The trend we are in is likely to hold as long as the American Dollar keeps weakening against all major currencies.At some time in the future they will make a concerted effort to put an end and aim for a stronger Dollar.Then watch out.OMO.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Everyone is going short which self actuates a rally. So when everyone gets broke and then this mini bubble will burst. Individual shares and especially Small Cap present more accurately the state of their own affairs compared with the indices
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
remembering that current prices are lookign 12-18 months ahead .. so don't worry about how it looks now, rather how it looks in 2011 ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
In the last 3 months the Dow has continued up even though the Dollar was in an uptrend and then later in an equal downtrend. Expectation of interest rates might have more to do with the dollar and metals at the moment.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Huh? I note that this was typed at 11.19. Surely the plane only passes at 12.00?
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
When everyone cries bear, it is definately time to be bull.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Smart money knows best...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Man going through revolving door sideways, is going to Banco... Hmm? Oh sorry isn't this the meaningless wisdom tagline thread?
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Yes Topgun...smart money go after the real money.. never invest in bubbles. The money were made when the DOW jumped 50% to 9500. The chickens can have the crumbs after that.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Well, the bubble theory is about to be tested. AMS just brought out a trading statement indicating that F09 earnings will decline +90% to say 560 cps. At the current price, that lifts the historical PE to 142x! I suspect quite a few other resources companies will also report sizeable earnings declines. The question is whether this is sufficiently priced in and to what extent the market is discounting earnings recovery. My sense is that AMS and others (KIO, EXX, AGL, BIL, ACL etc.) might well now enter into extended consolidation phases and trade sideways in a band while earnings catch-up rather than declining significantly provided of course that Rand commodity prices don't weaken from these levels on further Rand strength/commodity price declines.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
people, remember what causes a bubble .. excess cash sloshing around .. as long as it remains, then bubble ..
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
This market is in limbo- seems a little jittery - no direction. Needs some positive news from somewhere.If it's a bubble,let it burst- if it's a bull market start running.
0 Kudos