Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Bull, Bear?

Salv
Frequent Contributor
Dumb question, but can sum1 please explain how a bear and bull are characterised?
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
_nova
Super Contributor
bulls see the glass as half full, bears see it as half empty
0 Kudos
Salv
Frequent Contributor
So when sum1 says were are all the bulls, his saying were are all the buyers ?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Bulls profit when the markets rise..bears profit when the market falls..
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
Yes, a bull buys and a bear sells. A bull market is characterised by confidence and prices going up. High volumes and a surge in IPO's. Technically a bull market is a rise of +20%. A bear market is likewise a drop of -20%. Characteristics are a loss of confidence, prices flatlining or dropping. Volumes are flat or dropping.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
bulls play with good news,bears play when bad news
0 Kudos
Salv
Frequent Contributor
Cool thx guys
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
Bulls like to run.... think Pamplona, steam snorting out of nostrils, digging up dust with the front leg (excuse for the moment the one lying horisontally on most analysts', newsletters).--> Markets rise. Bears are grouchy, think "Who the hell woke me out of hibernation? And where's my f%&ing honey?!!! Now p*ss off and lemme sleep." --> Markets fall / go nowhere slowly.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
the most important thing u gotta know is that markets fall quicker than they rise...bulls are dumb...they just run with the herd...if u wanna make money u just run with them...u dont need to think....bears are cunning/perfidious/devious/mendacious....they lie in wait...they set traps
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I know cause I was a bull once...
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
Chartist is so right. You just have to look at nature to understand the psychology of bulls and bears. Bulls run before they look and bears look before they run.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja useful to remember that bears never chase after their prey....if they run out of the trap they just leave them cause they know they will run into a trap somewhere else prolly taking more prey with them next time...
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
I remember the old days when we still had the old forum, and you were still mark, and punted a certain share which will remain nameless. It starts with a D, ends with a D, and has a R in the middle. You've come a long way baby.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
we all have...but then there was the video predicting the precipitous decline from ZAR 12
0 Kudos
venice
Super Contributor
Great points, esp about bulls being a little shall we say slow. There are so many people(bulls) trying to pick bottoms and go long this market, guys just a point sell the rallies in a bear market. When the price action is above the 50 ema and starts using the moving averages as support not resistance go long trust me when this turns there will be plenty of time to get in.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
same in the bull market .. all the bears trying to call the top and selling the rallies .. we need both else the market goes nowhere ..
0 Kudos