Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Bull run in a bear market ????

kwagga
Super Contributor
So what happended to all those talking heads that said weeks ago that this market needs to correct? It's been running like crazy since then. I also think that this Bull Run has streched its welcome a bit, but every day I'm more and more surprised. I've learned one thing - don't underestimate the power of positive sentiment, even though the fundamentls and technicals don't support it.
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
WES
Super Contributor
Yes, never underestimate the power of the bulls. Dont you think that maybe a lot of people have been sitting on cash on the sidelines and have seen the market jump up since March, and that they are now getting into the market, just because they WANT to be in the market nearly at all costs ??? They are scared they might lose out??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Recall "i'll take you on that" hehe lol, but crazy indeed
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
i was caught wrong footed this morning with lots of PUTS in place ,slowly easing out of them,but still thinking there might be a sharp correction tomorrow?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Had the same ... short 9 on the dow luckly got out early this more ( 01:00 ) with some profit futures .. hefty COMM'S paid tho
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I sold calls too soon last week
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Funny thing is Barry the US is honed in on company results that top analyst's estimates - Apple results today which means that their adding fuel to the fire. Virtually no attention is given to the bad apples, of which there are many. It you bought a portfolio of the follwing shares in late December - REM, SOL, OML, JSE, TBS, MTN, SBK you would be on 37% for the year to date excluding divi's. Scary stuff if you think that we're still recovering from a recession and one of the worst financial meltdowns in history.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
It's just a case of the market can stay irrational longer that u can stay solvent situation. The smart money are not making money because logically the pull back is needed
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
right and perhaps not tomorrow but i feel it in mah bones some time whemn no one is expecting it. i'm not entering CALLS just yet!
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Ya - smart money is selling to those that are trying to catch the steam-train while its on the run.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So sell your portfoilios into the bulls and sit in cash till the turn happens. I traded small shots at a time to make a few rands the last three weeks. That way I got to go away and unwind.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
No offence but TA says buy not sell its only your bias that is reading it wrong..DOW above 10000 JSE on new yearly high, etc.. we bounced on support the list is long..sure we will pull back but melt down?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Having said that we are right on the 50% retracment from our highs...interesting..this has been my target high for quite some time..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Has this not been said since May ( sell in may and go away ) ? well said John :-) ...
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
So the smart money is not making money? What utter rubbish! The smart money is long...and has been for a while riding the bull until exhaustion sets in...while moving stoplosses along...and not trying to call it down as some people have for some time now...hence the difference in the scorecards I suppose...and the LBT's are also doing just fine since our discussion 3 weeks ago I might add.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
As u can see some of the smart asses around here are expecting a pull back of sort. Anyone that understands the market will not make comments like yours! We will get it right 4 out of 5 times with the odd exception like now and will beat your system dismally!
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
...and the converse of what you have been attempting and seeking to justify would be trying to catch a falling knife...some smart ass or just a plain one? Your handle seems very inapt...
0 Kudos
unknown
Contributor
this bull had a shot of RED BULL , guess its now flying no more running
0 Kudos