Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Bummer

Yatagan
Frequent Contributor
So I'm new here. Did some reading, think I understand most of it and plan my entry carfefully. I pick five stocks, but make a small error in that I bought smallish amounts. The brokerage are a factor at those amounts , I realise. Never mind, chalk it down to experience. Won't do that next trade, I vow. But the market eases throughout the week - even Anglos go up and down all week. Hold on, I think, this could be dangerous and I set stop-loss levels. One of the stoplosses has just triggered and my holding is sold while I am not looking. It feels as if I have lost a friend and I am distraught. Two of the remaining four have lost 7% each. Don't be emotional, I think: it is just a share and not part of your family (unlike the Sasols that granny left and nobody ever will ever sell)so I decide to stick it out next week. What about the stop losses on the others...? Should I perhaps cancel (and hope for the best..?) Or perhaps get more Anglos (surely they can't fall forever?) Small amount lost really, but man, this is tougher than I thought..
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
sponono
Super Contributor
did some reading, heh. well there's one big book you still have to read: YOURSELF. once you under this book called YOURSELF then you will not hesitate or rationalise, you will do what the book tells you to do.
0 Kudos
grommet
Regular Contributor
recall Anglos trade @ R114 or there abouts not so long ago , yea it can fall futher than you think
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Chalk it down to experience. One thing I learnt with jumping again on a failed trade's (especially quickly) that if I don't really understand the reason why I enter, I'm just up for more losses. Stick to your stops like you married to them, and not the share. Determine how much you can lose without shedding a tear and put your stop there. Trail the stop if you wanna. Yea brokerage mathematically depends on how long you hold your trades. If you trade very frequently (a lot per week) it's better to make brokerage .25% or .5% for a complete trade, if you hold for at least 5 days (depending on circumstances) you could use half of the above. It's justmy trading system anyways (remember, keep track of how much you've incurred in brokerage, else it affects your capital a lot if you don't trade with very much)
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Welcome to the ride! Lots of school fees coming. Joining the trading market is alike a teen entering adulthood. He thinks he know everything, until life starts teaching him a few lessons! So, hold on... load of lessons coming. (I can relate to both -got teens and been around here for 20 yrs).
0 Kudos