Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Buy oppertunity

WES
Super Contributor
I am a long term investor not a trader. I have been regarding these "dips" as good buying oppertunity to increase my portfolio (AGL,BIL,SOL,IMP,MTN,CFR,BVT,ASA,SBK ect ect)In this day an age, with geared instruments, I think that the professional and amateur traders are causing major volatility in the markets in their qeust for fast profits. any comments ? Have I got it wrong ? I mean a company like AGL does not depreciate within days or weeks ?..
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Wizard
Super Contributor
Correct....then you just wait a bit longer so you can buy them at the BARGAIN PRICE!
0 Kudos
Franksays
Frequent Contributor
My thoughts exactly. I agree that a the outlook for a company like BIL does not just change from day to day. The price does and so too does the premium of buying the company. I had been struggling to find companies offering value prior to all of the volatility. Its looking much more attractive now. Some nice deals are starting to appear on my radar.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
See Simon Brown's blog on Tickertalk dated 15 August 2010 "What Price Cheap? Finding Value". I think this is the link http://www.tickertalk.co.za/blog.php?user=SimonPB&blogentry_id=2102
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
As another( mainly ) long term investor I think that firstly the FORWARD PE's are at much more reasonable levels in companrison with 2008 when it was looney tunes stuff and as a result there are sound balance sheets in businesses with understandable models and with good income streams to be bought. Secondly because of all the fear around there are bargains- eg AGL BIL etc. We are not a cheap market( yet). There are some much lower PEs and even more attractive PE's emerging too in Europe - where the currency issue should not totally cloud the company's value - the Germans exporters come to mind - eg DB dropped significantly - DB would sell cars if you priced them in pre revolutionary tsarist roubles. Access into these and others is relatively easy.
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Correct. The facts as we know it is that we won't know the bottom. There are excellent stock at good prices (bargain prices?? - nobody really knows) I am now buying good div. stocks, preferable with a leaning towards a rand hedge "edge" to it and then don't "log in" too often to my account = my take only
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
someone said the time to buy is when there is blood on the streets-timing the bottom is an ego game interesting but not that significant to investing in decent companies at reasonable prices-the market is now attractive to buy-if you want to wait it out and see if it becomes a market for bargains-not there yet-then exercise some more patience-who knows?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yip, you have to weigh up the risk of missed opportunities vs further downside. My biggest concern is always the time value of money. I want to know that my stock will move in the end. So buying value, you also have to buy quality. There is no point sitting with a bunch of small caps trading at rock bottom prices, if they are jsut going to stay there for the next couple of years. So if you want to be capitalizing on this drop - stick to the top40, and maybe some midcaps - IMO
0 Kudos
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
But who knows when the rock bottom is hit?
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Skaap - is there a good correlation between liquidity and Market Cap? Some of my small caps have decent liquidity and some like Compuclear have almost none. Some of my mid caps have quite poor liquidity, but I am prepared to hold these for the DY I get on them.
0 Kudos