Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Buying shares in offshore stock exchanges

Som2
Contributor
I would like to know what is the process of buying shares in other stock exchanges, besides the jse. For example in Zimbabwean Stock Exchange, Nigerian Stock Exchange or Toronto Stock Exchange.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
dookie
Regular Contributor
In the case of Zim, why not just buy the whole exchange? :-)
0 Kudos
Som2
Contributor
lol. In fact, I want to know how to buy shares in the other two stock exchanges. Especially the Toronto Stock Exchange.
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
I asked Yonatan Rom about this - he says Charles Schwab in the US allows you to trade stuff on different exchanges. When I looked at the site - it seems they do offer accounts for foreigners - but it requires SOME paperwork. I guess you shouldn't have any obvious links to suspicious organisations with eastern origins either. Simon also mentioned https://www.comsec.com.au here, if you want to trade Oz. I suppose then it's a question of getting an offshore investement tax clearance from SARS (that's not too difficult - I've done it for some people). That's probably it then.
0 Kudos