Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Bye Bye Bafana Bafana.

Werner_1
Super Contributor
haha. yip. I still remember how we were hoping for a penalty shoot-out - germany were very good at those and that would have won us the game - we thought - it didnt happen. lol... the guys from a local italian restaurant we know were in the clouds, those guys really are obsessed, italian fans are sometimes nuts - now its our turn to win!
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Brazil-DE will certainly will be a good final. The mean German machine vs the most passionate soccer nation. Repeat of the 02' final. I'm hoping for that.But before that I want some excitement with England and Portugal in the mix!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I agree - that would be some interesting games!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I think brazil are looking quite *****...if robineo is their best striker they will not win
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
lol. it seems the teams that the people say are the strongest are not functioning so well - what do you guys say about Spain vs Switzerland - i actually wanted the Swiss to win - they never beat Spain before!
0 Kudos
3JN2
Frequent Contributor
We should have put our rugby guys in, explained a few rules to them - sure they would have done well.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
YA Bakies and Matfield in central defence.. Habanna on the wing. January as the fetcher in midfield..and Spies and No6 as strikers.. it would be fun to watch
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Some of you guys need to go and live in PERTH! We have done an amazing job as a country and it is something we can all be proud of!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Why Perth?? After all loads of Australians??/
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Every side in the world be it Brasil, Germany, Argentina you can name them all, at some stage have caught a got klap, so we got one the other night, it's part of the learning curve. This morning the Germans were already thinking of who they would be playing in the final on 11th July. Now a slip against Ghana on wednesday and they will be boarding the late night Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt.As my late Dad used to say "the ball is round" and anything is possable in a football game. Got tickets to that game, can't wait!!!!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
hmmm... its quite interesting that everyone expected the opposite... lets just hope for the best on the next match... Where is the next match taking place?
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Soccer City - wednesday 23rd.
0 Kudos
Jim_Bean
Regular Contributor
Guys, I don't think anyone believed that Bafana Bafana would win the World Cup, but we did know that as South African's anything is possible. It's that hope that gave us a reason to support the team and the country! Sure things have gone wrong but lets not stop supporting the team or give up on the country. Hosting the World Cup is a good thing for every South African. I've heard Sandton mothers talking about the team and about the games while wearing the team shirt.... that what Carlos has done for the country. Over the last 10 days I have had the pleasure of using the Gautrain, the CPT and DBN airports and going to all three stadiums in Gauteng for games. All I can say is that I am proud to be a South African irrespective of how Bafana Bafana does. I will continue to fly the flag, and to be a good host to all the visitors.
0 Kudos
WR
Regular Contributor
strange how RSA end up with all the moaners. Just returned from the UK, they are Soooo complimentry about us, not a single bad word being said, yet local people take the time to complain. Go visit a match - as a south african you should be thrilled to see what we got. a friend just came back from the USA - he was flattened by the way in which JHB international has turned out, he could not believe it. Drive around JHB/dbn, visit the stadiums. Sets us up very well to host major events. well done RSA, be proud
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Our country did a excellent job with the world cup - i agree with you and the competition, not us winning overall, is what is really excellent - look how many foreigners are loving our country - its very beautiful and i am also very proud that the country could put this all together!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
frankly I am surprised by the low level of Afro Pessimism, I expected a lot more.

some thorts;
There are two things happening at the moment; we're in the world cup and we're hosting the world cup. We dared to dream that Bafana coud get to the second round, but it was always going to be way tough. An heck look at the US (worlds largest economy) they can't win and England, either or both could be out. What of Spain and Germany, and Australia!!!! So yes on the bafana front things got all frot - but we're not along there.

BAn then the atual world cup is going great and setting a standard that is going to be very tough to beat. The biggest thing that will be tough is that the entire country (bar a few Afro Pessimists) is getting the gees. Brazil in 2014 will do the same, but when they return to Europe in 2018, can they ?? World cups are now more then just stadium and transport - and we've set that new standard.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
I am somewhat amazed at the lengths educated and supposedly financially literate people will go to justify the profligacy and sheer hubris of this soccer extravaganza. An event that was expected to draw some 450,000 tourists and priced at R3bn in 2003 ends up with less than 250,000 visitors but costing the taxpayer R40bn is deemed to be a success because of some favourable international comment and a fleeting nebulous feel-good factor? (The 2004 Summer Olympics in Greece was similarly held out to be a success only for the country to require a bail-out a couple of years down the line.) While we are now saddled with world-class sports stadiums and over-engineered airports, the country had to approach the IMF for loans to fund desperately needed electrical infrastructure. Instead of injecting the cost of the SWC into Eskom as equity and thereby preventing the excessive electricity price increases that will permanently increase the country's cost base and erode its competitive ability, we decide that image and a one-month party is more important than sustainability. While we upgrade the ring roads around major cities (that now become heavily tolled), SA's road infrastructure outside of the cities are allowed to decay and in the meanwhile a R75bn backlog in water infrastructure has also developed. I guess it is ultimately a question of priorities and scare resources. While austerity is the new global financial dictum, SA is spending cash as if there is no tomorrow. Do we know what ROI means or are financial metrics not applicable to public spending? What is it about our self-esteem that we require validation by disinterested foreigners that come here to party for a few days and leave us with a financial hangover (and a couple of concrete white elephants to add to the submarines and Gripens) and growing service delivery dissatisfaction in the townships? Surely it takes an efficient and functioning country with protected borders and safe and content communities to become a proud citizen, not a kleptocracy with pilfering and self-entitled civil servants, porous borders, ubiquitous crime and a dysfunctional criminal justice system with a conviction rate of 11%? Once the festivities conclude in 3-weeks' time, there won't be any ARVs in the clinics, text-books in the schools, or fuel for the ambulances and police cars and youth unemployment below 25 years of age will still be 40%+, but for today let's PARTY! Would we invest in companies that are this recklessly governed? Final score: FIFA R24bn, SA -R40bn but with a temporary enhanced image. After all, "hosting the World Cup is a good thing for every South African!" http://www.chinaworker.info/en/content/news/1089/
0 Kudos
Dina_1
Occasional Contributor
Topgun, you are right about the long term impact of the World Cup and the chinaworker article is worth reading. But itâ_Ts now a done deal. And there will be some positive outcomes: Numbers of visitors might be higher than forecast. According to Deputy Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba, â_o456,423 people who arrived between 1 and 13 June identified themselves as having come for the World Cup.â__ http://www.southafrica.info/2010/wctourists-170610.htm A balanced view is provided in http://www.sairr.org.za/sairr-today-is-hosting-the-world-cup-worth-it-18th-june-2010/ which concludes: â_oSouth Africa will, after the end of the tournament, be known for having hosted a successful World Cup, an event which probably figures more prominently in the global consciousness than even the Olympics. The country will have proved that an African country is capable of excellence and efficiency. South Africa and its taxpayers will be paying for this World Cup for decades, but the value of the change in perceptions of this country and the continent will have been priceless.â__ As Nic Haralambous says in http://sarocks.co.za/, â_oBring on the next 20 or so days left of the biggest sporting event in the world. Itâ_Ts going to be a blast that we will probably never in our lifetimes see again in South Africa. So letâ_Ts make it worth our while and enjoy it.â__
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
Gotta agree with topgun.A 3rd world country hosting a 1st world event is pure indulgence and unwarranted.Taxpayers will be bearing this burden long after Blatter and his draconian FIFA have left with bulging wallets.With little benefit for the poor,this misdirected expenditure could result in a hangover once the party is done.Without wishing to be a party pooper,a reality check is necessary.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Seems like France is having some issues with their team - lets hope this opens some opportunities for Bafana Bafana tomorrow - If they refuse to train, etc. it could hit them out, team spirits are clearly down the drain, we just need to concentrate on how we will work well together and maybe we have some luck on our side and a good support base of millions of hopeful supporters! All the best for Bafana tomorrow - we really would love to see a win - that would make my day!
0 Kudos