Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

CFD or SSF

kudu
Occasional Contributor
Humbly requesting some advice from the traders with lots of experience. I am a small investor with an appetite for risk . Which would be the better option on OST, SSF or CFD? Does OST offer stop loss options on both and which route is more cost effective with smaller trades – max 5 contracts (SSF)?
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
they be trader not investor products .. that said, CFD, SSF offer no stop loss function and CFD slightly cheaper ..
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
Simon, why did they remove the stop/loss from SSF. Surely the trader doesnt benefit from this. This is illegal, surely.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
not illegal, how would that be so ?? reason is the Safex central order doesn't report back trades or something, so no trigger for stop loss ..
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
I was out of the loop for 2 years. Been back a year. Prior to that I was able to place stop/loss on SSF's. Is there anything going back two years that I can read up on about Safex and the change in rules.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I prefer SSF. Market participants plays by JSE rules. SSF is a listed instrument, with reduced counterparty risk.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it was back in 2010ish .. google ssf/safex/central order book
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
counter party I agree with, that's a biggie .. but the missing nugget is how the SSF is priced, zero transparacy
0 Kudos
kudu
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for all the input. My buddy trades on another SA platform which does have stop loss options for CFD and SSF. I like my SBK OST but I do need to do the Stop Loss thing.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you do get stop loss on CFD here .. tis SSF with no stop loss
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Simon, the JSE has got an excel based program that allows you to determine the fair price.
0 Kudos
WES
Super Contributor
Just another qeustion on cdf's, why is it that other bank/institutions make more cfd's available on more shares than OST ?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
if you want to trade futures, trade ALSI futures...can set stop loss
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
I don't trade CFDs here but do with three other parties of which IGmarkets is one, and with them you have a far wider selection, however the margin on some of the less liquid shares is 25%
0 Kudos
Not applicable
@Rams, why - why can I not trade CFD's?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure, but there are two moving parts, div assumption and interest rate .. hence still a stab in the dark
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
If stops are a worry, you can put alerts on the underlying and manually execute. Probably a wiser way in anycase as it elimates the risk on wild swings which usually recover.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
@ Skaap, the point was that ALSI futures allows for stop loss unlike SSF
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
@simon, those variables are incorporated within the excel based program. JSE produce a dividend list for each and every company.The user will then slot that div amount into that program.
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
The problem with alerts are that you're not always with your computer when an alert comes through. Personally, when I came back from my break I lost an unspeakable amount of money because SSF's are not liquid and there's no stop/loss. Now, the best instrument I've ever traded is the alsi. If only the ALSH graph will work most of the time as I use that and the Almi as indicators. I've more than made up for my losses in a short space of time. and all you've got to do is watch the global markets. No technical analys. By the way Simon, I'd like to suggest we have a seminar on the challenges faced by the individual day trader.
0 Kudos