Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

CFD

Limitless
Contributor
Hi Guys... Can someone explain simply how Interest is "paid" and "received" on CFD trades? Tx
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
You pay interest on the full exposure of the trade on a daily basis(eg BIL closing price 300 and you have 1000 CFDs then you pay int on R300000) You receive interest on your margin and your cash balance, the difference in the rate you pay and receive is about 5%, and I think varies from broker to broker.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
and if you are short you will receive interest at a lower rate then you pay .. credited/debited to your account every evening ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
interestingly enough, none of the banks, except PSG, advertise the fact that there is a script lending fee for short positions. So, while you think you are earning interest on the exposure for a short contract, you actually aren't, because it is offset. A bit sneaky, IMO. OST's examples play vaguery with the spreads to cover this fact (you go short on a value without spread, you exit the position with spread in their examples. The script lending fee is neatly hidden in the spread, as far as I can see).
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
no the script lending fee is in the reduce interest paid on shorts .. it around 1% a year if I recalls
0 Kudos
surfer
Regular Contributor
Simon ,I think a webinar on all these products from the Banks perspective would be useful.IE how does OST make money off CFD's,futures,warrants etc and exactly what hedging/market trades takes place from their .This will give a retail investor a full understanding of the products.Just my thoughts
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think I am still okay with warrants. my loses are capped to time delay
0 Kudos