Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

CFR

warhippo
Super Contributor
Richemont beginning to look attractive to accumulate at these prices for the longer term in my opinion. (Europe and China wealthy people still like their products.)
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
BC02
Super Contributor
Agreed, not quite sure why theres such an over-reaction with Burberry's news. China and most of Europe still showed good growth (Beijing showing double digits).
Im quite sure holding 5-10 years this is still going to be a great investment.

Like they say...buy on the dips
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
20% correction from all time high will take it to 4123 which normally means a bounce is now due.
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Just wish the price of their Panerai watches came down by 20% (ha,ha)
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
Burberry make clothes. CFR 's business is 75%jewelery and watches. If they secure the production input sources and expand that to become a supplier to other makers they will be headed one way. Thank goodness for diverse views on desirable watches. Panarai!!?
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
At the risk of stating TCBO. They have been attractively priced for some time.
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Yes, just for the sake of chatting. Panerai watches - one of most prestigious and longest established Swiss watch manufacturers. I think bought by RCH in late nineties.
0 Kudos
Franksays
Frequent Contributor
I peronsally bought some today for the long term. Same line of thought. Have been waiting for this to come off some time as it has always seemed very expensive.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
what's your stop loss or maybe you dont use them
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Not sure about Franksays, but I dont trade. Been just accumulating. Maybe still down potential in it as well, but who knows. Good numbers, cash, smart people at the helm..
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
Warhippo - I collect watches - I just don't like Panarai. What is important is that CFR bought maisons like Panarai at a good time. The key point in this whole thing is that manufacturing supplies for watches and jewelery is a major under pin of these busineses and getting your vertical integration pitched correctly is going to be a business growth trigger = or the opposite. I suspect you do not want to be a major supplier of watch parts and movements -with the attendent overheads : when things are slow...hard to call.
0 Kudos
Franksays
Frequent Contributor
I dont trade, so no stoploss. Long term view.
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Agree. Tell us more about your collection of watches - especially any older models and do you have them regularly attended to and who does it for you?
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
At the risk of boring everyone - which is a particular skill often evidenced on this site. There are a whole load of criteria to look at ( sounds familiar) If its from one of the "big 5" then it invariably qualifies as desirable - in fact will probably have a set exchange rate price. If it has complications then that is a plus and if it was produced in limited numbers or represents a particular sporting link -motor racing for example - then ditto ditto. Some guy found TE LAWRENCE's IWC watch which he had when he was in the air force - bought for a song sold for a fortune. Fact is its like cars - always buy the entry level car of a leading brand vs the top end of an aspiring duff brand. Oh yes , Jaeger le Coultre, IWC , Rolex. All vintage.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
Ok folks.
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Thanks for that and very interesting hobby and view. (If my understanding is correct, Jaeger-LeCoultre has been a fully owned subsidiary of Richemont as well?) Jaeger-LeCoultre also has a long tradition of supplying movements and parts to other prestigious watch companies in Switzerland.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
What about "Hamilton"? :-)
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Have you got an electronic watch winder ?
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
3G down in the South Western Districts- good old Vodacom - masters of client relationships ( still a buy ) just got back up on Sunday. JleC as you say is a subsidiary of Richmont. Hamilton? - fun but that is it I think. There is always money in quality - plus what you get with quality...pleasure
0 Kudos