Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

CHOKERS

Rams
Super Contributor
So was that a choke or just a stuff up
0 Kudos
31 REPLIES 31
striker
Super Contributor
- Yep the Chokeas at their best. I doubt I'll ever see them lift the CWC trophy in my lifetime - great pity. The BMT is just not there- scoreboard pressure gets to them. All the hype around this squad came to naught.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Chokeas, thats an interesting word, you can tell a lot about the forumite by his choice of words.... how about replacing the "K" in chokeas with "t" ? May rhyme with proteas but your "chokeas" tells me you know something???
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
going to take many world cup wins to lose that tag...I cant see it any other way. We have best all rounder, two of the best batsmen, and two of the best bowlers in the world. We should at least make the final.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
New Zealand have got to 4 or five semi-finals, and lost every one, yet no one calls them chokers, the reason being they always punch above their weight in CWC.We still haven't developed BMT, reminds very much of the England soccer side, installed as favourites in every Euro or World Cup, but fail every time.The whole team has to develope mental strength and not just one or two individuals.In cricket the Aussies and soccer the Germans have led the way.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya this be NZ's 6th semi .. never made a final .. an of course maybe what everybody is missing is that our cricket team is just cr@p ??
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
or what we are missing, is that in a knock out stage 1 team goes home..tis simple. That and the fact that its the most corupt game on the planet second only to soccer...
0 Kudos
just_another_bo
Occasional Contributor
John, you may be right, looking at that performance and the captain staying behind to go to Ireland, Maybe he had to pick up the box of mullas for the team. Happened once before with our "brilliant" team! (Hansie!) Never knows!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
The middle order batsman were like rabbits stuck in the headlights. Only Oram bowled with some conviction the rest were deebly dobbers and we couldn't take them on. No use of feet, stuck in the crease. Just a *****e batting performance after a good bowling and fielding performance. What a disappointment.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Simon - I disagree with you on this one. We are just k*k in major tournaments. How is it that we have currently the top two ODI batsmen, three of the top 10 ODI bowlers and number 4 in the All rounder list, yet still do so badly. We seem to be able to win series and one off games yet not the big tournaments. This implies that we are a team with good players, but with no BMT. Now if we rate a team on how well it does in major tournaments or world cups, then we may have to agree that the New Zealand rugby team is k*k, and I am not sure you can say that. But you can stick the choker tag on them too....at the moment.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
only 1 team can win...and conditions play a huge role in cricket. 3/4 teams are from the subcontinet.that should already give you a massive clue. A good team is a good team winning is really not the only measure, Just look at All black rugby.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
Kepler Wessels is the analyst who stands head and shoulders above any one of his contemporaries and he summed up each failure. As he said - there are 3 discplines in this game and we are currently about the best in the World as regards two - bowling and fielding.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
cricket unlike many other sports is a game of errors , it takes 10 mistakes to win a game of cricket. Some times its happens fast some time like the England game no mistakes are made and you get thumped by 10 wickets....the basic problem is that the tournament structure is stupid... you play a meaningless round robin for 6 games and then the tournment starts and the winner has to win 3 games in a row... and this against the top 8 test playing nations..
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Spread betting gentlemen, why work every day when you can throw a game and earn 10 mil in 6 hours. I dont believe we can throw 2 winnable games away like that, first one being against england. I used to enjoy watching this game but I dont trust it anymore.
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Kom nou ouens!!! I think Amla had very bad luck and so Kallis. If they could have made a good stand, who knows.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Amla certainly unlucky, but am not so sure about Kallis. If you hit the ball in the air, there is a chance you'll get caught. Sounds obvious, but with fielding standards what they are today, its risky. And maybe Kallis didnt need to do what he did at that stage. Knocking it around for singles would have got us there. Whatever the tag, I'll always support the Proteas. It's just that the SAFFA expectation is so high - maybe we should just be happy we got to the quarters...just a thought: Geoff Boycott, and I dislike as much as anyone, once decided to rule out the hook shot for a season since he was getting caught off it too often and I think he ended up averaging over 100 for that particualr county season. Application is underated.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
I think they need to have a Stop Loss in place. Like trading, every game has the same odds, so past performance when it comes to the top eight means nothing. On the day, its still 50/50 but your edge like trading is the STOP LOSS.
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Rams, I like the idea!! Just bliksem the umpire or a bowler and get disqualified.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
skala sure, we certainly could have won, infact there is not a single SA player who did not think it was a certainty...and in that lies the rub... they were casual
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
and dont forget the captain, the coach, the selectors
0 Kudos