Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

CPIx

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
JOHANNESBURG, Jan 30 (Reuters) - South Africa's targeted CPIX inflation rate accelerated to 8.6 percent year-on-year in December from 7.9 percent in November, slightly above forecasts, data showed on Wednesday. A Reuters poll had forecast CPIX would quicken to 8.5 percent.
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
asylum
Super Contributor
thats bad right?
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Banks are having a mixed reaction on the numbers. :) :(
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Tomorrow will be very interesting. If Tito pauses tomorrow the Reserve Bank is essentially saying inflation targeting is off the table. And I really can't see they have much choice other than too pause.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Agree, should see some upside for the banks and retailers if there is a pause...
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
The rising interest rate in some instances can be seen to be compounding the inflation situation, depending what factors are driving inflation, in which case there may be just cause to pause.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
It's exactly the point I was making last week! The moment of truth has arrived. Does the state of the economy get compromised, over the inflation fears exerted?! Stay tuned for tomorrow's broadcast to find out!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
the only people I have heard saying he will pause are the banks. Thats like asking a soccer player if he used his hands in the penalty area.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
First time I hear that theory...could u give a possible example?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
hmmm, a couple of issues to way on the MPC today/tomorrow. Stagflation? Rising inflation but fallig growth not good. Retail sales are in decline (as is PSCE) so things starting to bite. An then of course the old one that inflation is largely been drivenm by fuel and food - an rate increaes effect neither (well not completely true but close enough). That said the MPC has ignored the latter every time so far. Me thinks unchanged.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I think its a difficult one politically for Tito, pause and he could be seen to be bowing to preasure rise and all you say (the economical factors come in to play)
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
The banks are still pricing a hike. The bargain of the week if nothing happens tomorrow
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Political questions will be answered with political answers!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Yah and pigs fly.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Very tempted to take a long position. Who will join me?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
john agreed, they may have very valid reasons for not raising or for raising. But which ever they do one side or the other will bash him and accuse them of bowing to polotics. One good thing about Tito, he never bows to anybody on anything.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I agree tito has be fantastic, but these are difficult times. Best wait on the sidelines me thinks. Personally I would be suprised if he raises.
0 Kudos