Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

CPi

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
oi .. this one still flying .. gotta love momentum :)
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
in fact my CPI's have made me more today than my ASLI trading .. shakes head ..
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Simon , you also gotta love the volume traded on this share, must be least than 1% of the total volume traded on FSR.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya but unlike FSR they actually do real banking well and the price moves ..
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
PE is 24, ***** dividend payout ratio. This share is like one of the Bubble that is going to burst soon. If you want a detailed analysis of its activity pull out the lastest BA900 stats data from the SARB website. You might want to change your mind. This share is not worth the price.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The thing about momentum - the real problem, that is - is that it only seems to apply to Capitec. It is not, for example, applying to Grindrod, which would be of a lot more benefit to me!
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
CPI reminds me off the run up to the 2008 crash.....somebodys hedging something and when the poor folks get hit by something, the HEDGERS are going to put the squeeze....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ah yes its a runner, does it have more legs who knows, sold my shares in feb after holding for two years, glad actually, don't like bankers that work ona sunday.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Simon,back in March 2010 when the share was trading under R100 you said that you had a target of R400.I am impressed with the faith you had in this share when there have always been so many doubters, and forumites came up with so many reasons not to buy(as they still do).I have questions:1.why did you believe so strongly in CPI? 2.Do you still have a target of R400? 3.If so,any time frame?!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You think someone is hedging themselves by buying CPI shares? Interesting theory, pretty curious to see how that mechanism would work?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
R400 was toungue in cheek(ish) but it's not impossible if things get totaly crazy with CPI (would require a PE close to 30, maybe even above which for bank is insane - but hey we often see insane) .. I still hold, but off loaded 40% of my holding around R165 .. an it has really become more of a momentum play than anything else, it consolidates for a while then sets off upwards again .. sure great company giving the biggies a run for their money, but long since it was cheap ..
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Interesting,thanks.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
on elesson I have finally learnt .. took me a long time as it defies belief and/or logic .. but basically sometimes common sense gets tossed out the window for way longer than one would ever expect .. now when I see it, I don't ask questions I just ride it .. but as I say, took me a long long time to learn this lesson ..
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Another example of "The trend is your friend"!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Agreed Simon.. one has to remember that all the talking heads and suits investing "smart money" have to beat the index OR each other.. so when a share starts to move they need to get on board or else they get left behind in the pissing contest...this has nothing to do with valuations or companies..but personal bonuses and jobs are at stake...once you realise this and you have..market or a lot more fun!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
In this context..one only has to look for companies that are starting to outperform it on a weekly basis as this is where the "new smart money" will be running and thats when you sell...when it starts to lag the overall market
0 Kudos