Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Camera Stuff: Tamron Lens on Nikon camera

HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Hi. Sorry to divert from the purpose of this forum but there's some knowledgeable and experienced people here. Has anyone used the Tamron 200-500mm lens on a Nikon D40/60 camera. Does the autofocus work? (I've been googling this topic without much luck!)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it should, but the tamron website should tell you which camera body the lens is 100% compatiable ..
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Just checked the manual on the site autofocuses with Canon not Nikon. Any experience with teleconverters on Nikon lenses?
0 Kudos
MenuOption
Frequent Contributor
Some SLRs (Canon for example) will not autofocus if the lens has an f-stop less than F5.6. That Tamron 200-500 is a F5 to something lens. So autofocus should be OK. but the moment you put a converter on, it drops to below F5.6 (F8 I'd guess). And the autofocus goes. But, not sure of the Nikon though.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
I use a Tamron lens 70-350 lens on my canon 350. Autofocus and macro facility works fine. Japanese made at half the price. Very happy with the quality. Wish they made a flash. Paying 3500 for a canon flash is a bit wasteful.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Went for Nikon coz I noticed the lens and stuff was a bit cheaper than cannon. Can get a decent Nikon flash for R1600 thereabouts. The Nikon teleconverters are expensive though. I like this site for camera and lens reviews www.kenrockwell.com.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
always nikon .. me thinks canon don't make cameras as their core business .. they make ink, then to sell the ink they make printers and in order to sell printers they make cameras ..
0 Kudos