Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Can Woolies still be a buy

djw
Regular Contributor
Wow Poor Woolies come out with a decent trading statement - have very little exposure to the Rand/Dollar and unsecure debt but it is getting murdered. Still has a recommended buy signal but would anyone buy Woolies at R64???
0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
kwagga
Super Contributor
My suggestion is to stay away from retailers and rather look at plats and construction.
0 Kudos
Prestonmyhusban
Regular Contributor
Remember this for the future...Woolies is now a trading share. Traders are punishing this share unnecessary. I would recommend this as a buy.
0 Kudos
djw
Regular Contributor
Hello Kwagga - totally agree - but when do you buy Plat? Impala is a nasty thing and as far as I am concerned only for the brave. AMS looks like it has run hard since begin of the year. The only way forward for Plat is through the EFT??
0 Kudos
djw
Regular Contributor
Hello Kwagga - totally agree - but when do you buy Plat? Impala is a nasty thing and as far as I am concerned only for the brave. AMS looks like it has run hard since begin of the year. The only way forward for Plat is through the EFT??
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Are you trading (Not a buy) or investing ?
0 Kudos
djw
Regular Contributor
A Little of both - basically long 7500 WHL - try trading around it daily to keep the position viable. Not keen on shortin a stock but looks like I will have to start changing that why of thinking
0 Kudos
djw
Regular Contributor
my trading costs are pretty decent - 0.2% on CFD trading - so works out at about 9c in and out. Just try and cover losses on the actual shares
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Trading on this stock is bearish as it is now trading below the 200 EMA. My recommendation is not to trade this stock but to buy for long term investment.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Even with all this punishment, it's still trading at a twenty multiple. The best you can expect of this is sideways (consolidation) for the next few months. My pic of the plats is LON.
0 Kudos
djw
Regular Contributor
thanks for you input Preston - love Woolies long term even atm - kinda makes the pain when the missus goes shopping on the weekend hurt a little less
0 Kudos
kawcha
Contributor
At this level, it may possibly go to 5800
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
WHL is yesteryear's leading stock, clearly the trend is changing and traders/investors should watch the neckline of a head and shoulders at R60 very carefully
0 Kudos
Prestonmyhusban
Regular Contributor
why?, Fundamental have not changed.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Fundamentals will change with a under pressure consumer, price inflation that will come through. It's also fully priced.
0 Kudos
Penny_Pincher
Super Contributor
Some analysts predict another 200 basis points rate hikes before ye 2014. That should almost certainly change the fundamentals.
0 Kudos
Penny_Pincher
Super Contributor
Some analysts predict another 200 basis points rate hikes before ye 2014. That should almost certainly change the fundamentals.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
The sector that woolies service are on the upper end of the market. These guys recieves preferential interest rate and also remember that there is a lagging effect of any interest rate hike.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
WHL getting close for me to add to my position, that being a looong term hold till death do us part
0 Kudos
Prestonmyhusban
Regular Contributor
@ Simon Brown...FSR and Woolies
0 Kudos