Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Can anyone access OST on their iPhones?

john_1
Super Contributor
its because thy think they providing a phone sex service...its all about the forplay..instant access would take away all the fun.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon - IT are misinforming you about the iPhone and Safari being a closed system. The problem is Safari uses the WebKit engine as does Google Chrome. WebKit is open source. Nokia have also announced they are developing a symbian browser based on WebKit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebKit
"Apple said it sold 2.22 million Macs in the quarter ended March 28, down from 2.3 million last year. But it sold 3.79 million iPhones, up from 1.7 million a year ago, in part because of expanding sales of the device around the globe." If you look at the stats Chrome and Safari users are on the increase http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers.
I have said this before about the development team at OST...they are the tail wagging the dog.
Have you tried a survey of which platform your OST customers prefer?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Not all of us can be able to make a call when in Margate, but if you have your iPhone there you'll just log in and voila your instruction is received. SO for once Simon, can you make a user friendly website whereby no forumite/trader will be denied access because of their web browser? Do you have a deal with Bill Gates to make this site accessible only to IE users? Not all of us use or love Microsoft software.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I never said safari was a closed system, an yes same problem with chrome .. apple is a closed system, especially the iPhone .. an yes we know what playform our users are on ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I get your point about closed system safari/apple. 2 questions - how do you know what platform your users are on? What security/hosting platform is it that standard bank use causes this problem?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
log files tell you everything .. an our security server is websphere ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Aahhh but if I can log in with chrome or safari how do you know I want to use it? I use chrome and I have an iPhone but because I know OST doesn't work on either I log in with firefox...so log files are not a good measure.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
not at all .. the log file records every request for a page (not the loaded page) .. so you request the home page and we know everything .. truth is that globally and locally safari is used by very very few people ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Logic doesn't follow: 1) I never access the Std Bank site with safari or chrome because I know it doesn't work. Your log files cant tell you that. 2) Globally Safari and Chrome account for 9.8% of browser usage and Opera only 0.7%. Safari has jumped from 4% - 8% in the last 12 months.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure opera is an arb browser .. but on a mobile mini opera is the only browser worth using .. first thing I do with a new mobile is remove the browser and add mini opera ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
But that is just personal preference Simon. It doesn't make it a better browser than any of the others. Standard Bank have a very arrogant approach to customer service requests and needs. That is the point I am trying to make. I think if you took the trouble to ask the customers you would be shocked at the amount of people who would like to do both internet banking and online trading on their iPhone.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Check this site http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-ZA-daily-20090527-20090528-bar browser usage for today in South Africa is 3.22% chrome, 1.87% safari, 1.31 % opera and 0.38% other...,mini opera appear either with opera or other.
0 Kudos
Amar
Contributor
Simon obviously if a website only allows Firefox and IE your server logs are not indicative....Everytime this topic comes up we here these strange excuses... I am writing this message from google chrome (yes your site actually works in chrome) I just changed a setting on chrome not to tell sbk that my browser is google chrome... Drop me a mail and I'll send you a screenshot of this site running in chrome, you pick a page...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The request is, please make the site accessible to any user whether they using Chrome, Safari, Opera or IE. For once please take into account our please and cries.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
wow, i bet simon is busy thinking of another excuse to come with, but err, i doubt he got anymore.. why will it be so hard to just get the IT team to look into it... i think we should all buy simon an iphone, and let him experience how good it is, then only, well maybe he'll change his mind on working on a platform for the iphone.. you should see the number of brokerage houses in the U.S that have platforms on the itunes store for download, even bloomberg personally recognizes the iphone.. and another request for simon, if standard bank does come up with a iphone platform then try and make a live watchlist ticker or streamer. iphone users should download the application called 'shareprice', its live streaming prices of the london stock exchange, brilliant application
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
I have cut copied and pasted this entire transcript and logged a formal request per email to call centre. Let's see what transpires.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
you shouldn have said that out loud, simon will try to get his hands on it first and s***** it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Maybe we should all contribute and get Simon an iPhone, take him to Margate and only buy him data bundles for the iPhone with no airtime to call the call center. Let's see if he'll be able to give an order over the iPhone with no airtime but data bundles on his sim. Simon put yourself in our shoes, not all of us sit the whole day in a computer, what if you stuck in traffic and you must really give that order and when you check you only have your iPhone on a 3G covered network, what would you do?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Get yourself a SONY VAIO VGN UX-280P and your problem will be solved
0 Kudos