Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Career Advise

saash
Super Contributor
I want to add that I've never met an "academic" entrepreneur. Entrepreneurs are too busy making real money, to bother about sitting in a university listening to an almost broke lecturer telling them stories about bill gates. That said - they ALL know how to read a balance sheet and collect bad debts by the time they make their first million, so make sure you choose an education that makes you financially literate above all else.
0 Kudos
olilau
Frequent Contributor
Mr S - there are many success stories out there of people who only need "one or the other". tony factor was a case in point. fact is, those stories are generally the exception rather than the rule ! as no one on this forum knows you very well, it would be wise to give advice in accordance with what is good in terms of a more general approach and what would be the norm. fact is that a balanced approach is the best. you will need some theory education as a base, not only to instil knowledge, but also to open doors for you ultimately. if you are serious, then don't waste your time with ladida courses, engage in a more general, serious course, like a Bcomm or a CIS/ICSA. (if commercial is indeed your chosen vocation). if you are technically minded, an engineering type course is very valuable, which can later be built on by doing a commercial course. my advice, if you have a successful business, carry on with it and study part time. you will NEED a commercial theory foundation to run your own company. if you eventually work for someone else, again, you need a qualification to get your foot in the door and, as useless as it may sometimes feel, the theory not only teaches you on content, it teaches you HOW to learn, which is something you will need for the rest of your life. that said, no amount of theory will prepare you for everything and you will learn infinitley more in gaining experience. my advice - study or study and work, gain experience, find your way, then only brush up with a masters degree in your late thirties or so. good luck
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
the part about university that really matters is who you get to know...ultimatly people succeed because of who the know...network baby network.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
Guys - I know i have a natural entrepreneural mind, but i also thought diversification in the future. let me explain...i will have a business or two operating in the future, excluding the current ones now. but i need to have a plan be for just in case. I mean my understanding is that it works both ways - if i have a job, and a business or two at the same time, if one fails, i can rely on the other. and if both succeed, the more bucks flow in. Remember that anything can happen in the future, and you dont want to reach a stage where you are not able to fall back on anything else. and since im a 'born entrepreneur' having a steady high income will allow me to grow my businesses faster, get through my businesses tough times better, help with cash flow etc. Im also planning on being a property investor, and i need a steady income incase i dont have tennants on my properties. So basically im trying to have options in the future. I dont want to have a situation like my uncle who has been unemployed for 7 months, with no income what so ever, due to the fact that he had one concentration. And i firmly believe that can happen with a business man. why not have a plan be??
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
haha, wel its a bit too late for that now, but i made it clear in the beginging what i plan to achieve in life, and she accepted that. in fact i think i should relay that message again. I think having a supportive woman does have its benefits, i mean whos gon give you the stress reflief?
0 Kudos
ms
Contributor
I took the route of getting my CA degree because my parents suggested it. After working in banking for 5 years i realised its not for me. I now have 3 very successful businesses,all very different and alot of exposure to different thing. SO my advice is to get something that lets you understand business. People cant teach you to be an entrepeneur,you either are or you aren't.Try get in contact with as many successful people as you can because everybody needs a good break every now and then, and never give up on yourself because if you dont back yourself nobody else will.If you want to get in touch let me know
0 Kudos