Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Cars

Enzed
Frequent Contributor
Hi Guys Have to buy a 2nd hand car for about R80000. What are your opinions of : Peugeot 207,Chev Aveo, VW Polo,Tata Indigo. Must have at least 2 airbags upfront and reasonable boot space.Toyota and Honda are good but you can only get old ones for this kind of money.
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
earlyret
Regular Contributor
Hyundai Getz is good value for money
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
You can pick up second hand Opel Astras - hatchback and the older sedan version. I bought a second hand sedan with 60 000 on the clock about two years ago, with balance of warrenty, and extended 1 year motor plan, for just under R80000.00, and am very happy with the car. The range is being discontinued, so they may go cheaper, but GM will back up the spare parts and most mechanics will service one if out of warrenty. Opel are German so well made. They are also a bit larger than a Aveo or Indica or something like that. Run a search on Autotrader and see what you get within your limits.
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
imported cars are expensive to repair and get spares for. I had a 206 years ago. Nasty thing. Ended up with a toyota hilux 3000D cheap to service and repair. NOw you may not want a van but the toyota corrola is tried and tested and spares easy to come by. I would guess the same holds true fo VW but cant comment. I also think that hyundai will be the next brand of reliability but again cant comment. Chevy Spark and Aveo are effectivly daewoo. Made in same plant
0 Kudos
carrot
Occasional Contributor
one of our cars is a Ford Fiesta Ambiente 1.6. I am really impressed with it.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Look at the Mazda Etude Wagon also. I have one for 10 years since new and its awesome - no airbags, but maybe a newer model will have.
0 Kudos
Farina
Contributor
add an other zero and get a porsche cayman s.....
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
top tip .. buy a R60k car and put the other R20k into a blue chip ..
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Los the airbags. Strap a hay bale inside your seatbelt, and drive cautiously.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
No to 207, BIG no to tata, chevys ok, Im sure you could get a low milage 2007 fiesta for that money but Id say the Hyundai is definately in contention... I just bought my wife a 2006 ford fiesta with 34000km on the clock in mint condition for R65k. Also try see if you can find a low milage Yaris... lovely little cars and with the way the seats fold it almost turns into a panel van theirs so much space.
0 Kudos
leminus2
Regular Contributor
Stick to VW and Toyota. Proven that parts are readily available and cheaper. Also quality is better. Stay away from all the other *****, especially french cars....Just had a chat about it last weekend with a guy I know from JHB. They have bought six different makes over the years and have drawn up a schedule to determine which cars are the best in parts ect and even he said VW and Toyota....
0 Kudos
Enzed
Frequent Contributor
Very useful advice Guys - many thanks - and Simon - thats why I'm not buying new - the R80k has to come out of my portfolio and it hurts. I learned too late in life that (most )cars were a baaad investment.But my 9 year old Fiat is now a bit long in the tooth.Next question guys where do I find the bargains - the car search engines all produce very predictable results - not many bargains around - I'm looking for that little old lady who only drove to church on Sundays....
0 Kudos
ClintD
Occasional Contributor
Try an auction house - although you then buying the car voetstoets!
0 Kudos
leminus2
Regular Contributor
Be patient and you will find it.......
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Enzed...My advice go to a bank repo auction...you are bound to have the pick off the bunch every time with *R80k in hand!
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
WR
Regular Contributor
Buy yourself what your heart desires and put some away for a rainy day. I also was spending minimal on the what I wanted, until the day I sat outside the operating theatre waiting for my wife, and had some life changing thoughts, around the material possesions we try and keep. She always wanted a covertible, and when the surgery took longer than expected, strange thoughts go throu your mind. So when all was well, I went out and bought her what she wanted. enjoy life, one day u may not be able to
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Why spend R80 000,when you can spend R25 000.Get an old-style FORD SIERRA 2.0 GL( preferably an inland car.)No Rust.Reliable.Spacious. And the 2.0 GL is NOT heavy on fuel.Right,so you've saved R50 000 and you buy Gold.And with the 40% devaluation of the Rand that's coming.Voila ! Your R50 000 appreciates by 40% = R70 000.Net result.The car cost R10 000 Licenced and registered.Research>>>www.gumtree.com(or co.za).Whatever....Think AUSTERITY MEASURES.Adios.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The missing R5000 is for a Party.
0 Kudos
Porshe
Contributor
vdub is the king,lol when i join OST i thought people here drive ferraris,Phatoms and Range Rovers ,silly me
0 Kudos