Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Cautionary

Not applicable
Any rumours around this? Could it be at an offshore acquisition? Sean Melnick made this comment on MoneyWeb in May "I think a bit of offshore income over the next two or three years is something that we will start turning our attention towards." http://www.moneyweb.co.za/mw/view/mw/en/page55?oid=101089&sn=Detail
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
This comment not much to do with your thread - it is interseting that director S A Mellnick involved some funny trades in the co, according to the history. Latest: in March 2007 he bought 2 mill shares @ 1480 cps and sold them on the very same day @ 1440 cps - how's that for blowing R800k and brokers fees. Or is there something about financial planning that I do not understand? NOW: if there is not a reasonable explanation for this move, it brings doubt in my mind that this man should remain a director at this co.
0 Kudos
Dilligaff2
Frequent Contributor
From http://www.moneyweb.co.za/mw/view/mw/en/page38?oid=81346&sn=Detail
Peregrine CEO Sean Melnick sold 2m shares for R28,8m last week but matched the sale with a purchase of 200 000 futures on the shares for R29,6m. "It was purely a funding transaction", he explained to Moneyweb, "The family trust wanted to make an investment. Rather than borrow against shares that I have in Peregrine, I decided to borrow 2m shares at a cost of 0,5% from an institution. "I sold those to raise the cash we wanted for our investment but opted to maintain my exposure to Peregrine by taking a futures contract. Because one is dealing in the wholesale market, it works out at one or two percentage points cheaper than borrowing from a bank. Moreover, with shares as security, the bank would want four or five times cover. This way, I got access to the entire R28,8m. "I am exposed if the shares go down and in that event, will have to put up margin."
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yes, following director dealings doesn't always make sense unless you get see the explanation.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Thanks (your'e well informed: congrats). Knew :-) that there would have been some shrewdness involved. And this from a man that already held in excess of 22 mill shares at the time.
0 Kudos