Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Changes to SSF Trading

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nobody suggesting trading SSF without a stop .. just to clarify ..
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
100x gearing is not insane, moves in forex are seldom more than 150-200 pips in a day so with a 1$ trade the worst that can happen is 200$ loss, if you operate without a stop loss.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sorry asylum .. you just crossed over to cloud cooko land .. of course 100x gearing is insane .. you have seen what happened to the global financial market in 2008 ?? sure you can run the numbers and make it look pretty .. and the most important word in your comemnt was "seldom" .. ouch ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I off to do radio .. but a quick Q re guarenteed stops .. who's your counter party ??
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
well then we disagree but to day trade spot forex, and i emphasyse the word day trade forex you wont get anywhere without leverage,i use 1to 2% capital max on any one trade so leverage does not worry me i know exactly what i can win or lose.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Simon.....you could lose a whole lot more than 30% on an overnight black swan on international markets!!! Forex gives me a guarenteed stop.....any guarenteed stops on ssf or cfd?? I guess its a style preferance but just because forex is more leveraged does not make it more risky....
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
well thats the risk with spot forex, no counter party as far as iam aware, but as long as standardbank dont go bust i should be ok.lol
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
30% move on an index ?? even at the worse of 2008, we never saw a 10% index move over night ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well somebopdy is guarenting your stop .. they are your counter party .. who are they ??
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
on the standard bank website they say they guarantee stops up $ 2 millon, so i guess standardbank.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
You gonna be late! Run (oops, he ran already).
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
no...single STOCK futures......agree with you on indexes, not stocks. As i said no live stops, no guarenteed stops, but a personal choice.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I don't trade stocks (for many reasons such as volatility) .. and I am talking about the underlying index moving 30%, with gearing that equals about -200% .. my risk management can swallow that, not happily, but it can ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
lol, nah they phone me .. was a boring day on markets so little to check up on .. later in studio with the allegedly beautiful Leigh Bennie for 90 minutes ..
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
My comments were not about your system but rather my opinion that the inherent risk trading CFD's / SSF's with ineffective stops due to the nature of the instrument presents a higher than acceptable risk profile when compared to forex trading with 24/5 live guarenteed stops on position sizes as small as less than $1 per pip. There is simply no contest in the risk profile of the two different instruments.
0 Kudos