Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Chart time frames

SKALA
Super Contributor
For day trading, if you trade off the 5 min chart, which time frame are you watching for your signal; 1hr, 30 min, 15 min or do you tend to stick with the 5 min.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
SKALA
Super Contributor
Come on guys! Please give me some info.
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
If your intermediate chart is 5 minutes, then your long term chart should be +-5 times longer - i.e. say 30 minute chart. Start by looking at your long term chart, i.e. to see whether you should go long, go short or do nothing. Then move over to your intermediate chart (in your case 5 min chart) and look for entry points in the direction that your 30 minute chart gave you. This is my view, study books and learn - the only way.
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Thanks T Cat. That is what I do; however which time chart do you have running while waiting; I tend to keep the higher time one on display until I see something happening, then go to the shorter time chart. Also I switch between 1hr, 15 min and 5 min.
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
I'm not a day trader, Skala.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You could read the book 'trading for a living' by dr A Elder - it explains a three screen trading method based on different time frames.
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Thanks for input. I wanted to get an idea what timeframes the forum members tend to use. Obviously, the higher your margin you are prepared to risk, and the backing you have, the longer time frames you can go for.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
OMO but this is a hard one to anwser, but all i can say is that there is no big dif between semi long TA trader and daily TA trader BUT TIME FRAMES, quick fingers and system. The results are the same ( Chart is a Chart 1 min to yearly )
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Hennie is right.. The profit equation is not a function of time...it is a function of price change... The shorter the time frame the greater the detail relating to price. The question is can your emotions and mind deal with that level of detail.
0 Kudos
kumar
Occasional Contributor
Where or how can I see these charts with different time frames ie 5,10.15 min charts.
0 Kudos