Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Charting software

Not applicable
Just wondering what charting software can be recommended.
I've heard Metastock is good, which is about R 4,500 & R 400 p/m data subscription. Amibroker is R 2,200 and R 200 p/m data. Diro is free software but R 500(?) p/m for the data subscription.
Standards is free ( / R50 p/m) ...but very limited.

Thanks
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
kwagga
Super Contributor
All depends on what you want to do with it. Trading or investing and what instruments ?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Trading equities: evaluating some indicators like stochastics, ATR. Watching for trends. RS analysis on sectors.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
to add: I'd also like to add some triggers like highlight shares with engulfing candles.
I believe with Diro and Amibroker you can program your own triggers.

Also these prices were based on End-of-day data.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
amibroker with eod data from investordata.co.za
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Use whatever technicals you think is good, but I am more than convinced, over time, it will be in your direction of trade only 30 % of the time....so rather concentrate on good money management
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Yup, for trading equities, end of day date will suffice. Amibroker will do just fine. Also investordata.co.za will change you R140 monthly for daily Amibroker data downloads. You can also download other world indexes for free via one of the free plug -in's (I use Yahoo) for Amibroker. If you want real time data go the Metastock and sharenet.co.za route. That will be around R400-R500 per month for real time data feeds.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
PS - I've done a lot of homework on this, so if you have any other questions, just shoot.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
thanks for the advice
0 Kudos
KJR
Frequent Contributor
Is Amibroker useful for intraday trading?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
It can be used, but there are better packages around. If your looking at trading SSF's join DWT Securities -www.dwt.co.za Joining them (free) comes with real time charting software (Swordfish) thats more than sufficient for intraday trading. Alternatively go the Metastock route for equity real time charts with sharenet.co.za data feeds or hisat.co.za data feeds. I'm not sure if these data feeds include SSF data. A simple phone call will give you and answer. I've joined IGMarkets.co.uk because it's free and they offer Index SSF's real time data and charts. This is generelly someting I don't trade that often, but it's convient to see the real time charts when I do trade.
0 Kudos