Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Chartist's 50K day

Werner_1
Super Contributor
thats a 14% profit then, not bad, but huge gearing.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Oh and he is not buying 20 per day he is buying 20 per trade, that means he might make any number of trades in one day..
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
TOPIX, its human nature that needs to change....and what are the chances of that happening?
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
I view my long term portfolio as a business and am passionate about investing and there is certainly risk involved. The difference is that I spend a lot less time "managing" my business than the trader. While the trader has to actively run his business, the long term investor has the captains of industry running his underlying companies that form his/her portfolio/business. I have some of the best CEOs in the country "working" for me.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
All these advances that you spoke about actually make it easier for one to lose money. Therefore the percentage of losers now would be higher than 30 years ago. Having a faster computer or bigger screen does not make you a better trader. Also the news feeds and information you access are controlled by the 10% who actually make money.
0 Kudos
theyoungster
Super Contributor
I find is IG in rands and Euros, cuz in previous slides of his he shows trades in Euros.....just wondering...i dont use IG markets do they offer a demo account, i wanna practise?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
the one part of the zero sum game nobody focus on is that much of the money trading alsi is actually there to be lost by instatutanal investors.... its used as a hedge against the cash porfolio.. there is also any number of contracts purchased as arbitrage, also designed to lose money against a cash postion designed to gain and visa versa..
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I think he trades on two platforms IG and on http://www.dwt.co.za/ OST.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
he uses IG charts trades on DWT
0 Kudos
jannie2
Contributor
I tried Chartist/Mark on Skype - but that does not seem to work - any other way I can get hold of Mark ?
0 Kudos
earlyret
Regular Contributor
Can I ask the long term investors out there, how much you would need to have invested to get a R50k return from dividends(on average dividend payouts). Not having a go at anyone, just curious.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I think using a estimated 5% dividend yield (one can arrange a portfolio to give this easily) one needs about R1m - but what you guys are forgetting is that Chartist's gains is 'capital gains' and not dividends, so remember that if you buy long term shares one also gets capital gains in addition to dividends with substantially less work than short term trading, less risky and more relaxed. Over time (thats why its long term) one can generate a more consistent income, thats what we have always been saying.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Finally..This is so possible! Ive started with 5k trading on Cfd's FTSE100 and make around $1000 a day after loss.. Its incredible. You just need to have a plan and a back up plan. Set yourself rules and stick to them. Mark, Congratulations with your success.. Lol people are still trying to find you LOL!
0 Kudos
earlyret
Regular Contributor
So, about R10mil would give you enough to live off the dividends?
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Chartist's profit will not be subject to "capital gains tax" but will be taxed as income, as he is a trader.More than likely at 40%, so the 50K gets split 30K to him and 20k to SARS.A share must be held for at least 3 years to qualify for any capital gain to be taxed at the more favourable CG tax rate, even then you must convince SARS that the share was bought with the intention of investing long term
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Depends an your life style, If you have 10mil invested,and you are in your 60's and pretty active, 500K a year may force you to notch your standards down a bit.I think I would battle, 15mil would be a better number. If you in your 70's enough and in your 80's you should start blowing your capital as well.That's my goal anyway!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
If you buy shares that offer higher yields, some prefs, and other types like property funds, you can increase that yield, but yes, R10m would be a good amount. remember that is very relaxing way of generating an income then, buy something like SBK and hold for long term, get the dividends annually and over time the company grows so well this increases. very nice way to build ones retirement savings. if one is young start building this portfolio and when one is 60 or so and retires you will like like a king! Most people want the cash RIGHT NOW which leads them to using high risk methods that could eventually result in nothing.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Spot on Werner. Most traders/investors want to get rich quickly. I reckon if traders/investors focused on creating wealth SLOWLY, that the end result will be a lot more favourable. A 5-8% dividend/interest yield portfolio is certainly possible at the moment. Add growth of 5-10% above inflation and one can create great wealth in the long term. "Find a few great companies and then sit on your @$$." - Charlie Munger
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Why is it is the same two guys always come in on these trading success stories threads and say how actually doing it slowly is better...ARE YOU GUYS MAKING 50K A DAY, a week, a month or even a year.. if not.. why dont you just say.. there are people who are able to do better then me in the market.. Prehaps you could even tell us just how much these long term portifolios are making in rand terms.. prehaps you could just say WELL DONE!!!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Oh and Chartist is a very normal guy who has made an extra ordinary effort, including huge scarifices of time and money to master his trading.. I think he has done an amazing job...in truth I envy his success. As he is consistantly able to extract money from the market at will.
0 Kudos