Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Chartist's 50K day

Werner_1
Super Contributor
dude, i dont know what you trying to say, but we don't believe we the best and OBVIOUSLY there are people that get good results on various strategies - we never said anything bad about that stuff. You seem offended by our comments - is that true? ** CHARTIST - WELL DONE **
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Couldn't have said it better John.....well done Chartist, taking cash out of the market on a daily basis is the real deal, any numb nut can by shares and hold for 10 years, ask allan gray. A talented trader wins on a daily basis and achieves true financial freedom - chartist has been consistently achieving success, nice one.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
No werner I am not ofended...I just dont think you realise what people give up to become masters of this disipline. Its true many fail, its true its hard, its true that there are less time consuming stratergies... But for those of us who have walked this path I think prehaps a little less judgment and a little more respect is in order...Thats all.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Here is the link for those who are interesed in learning from chartist....www.screencast.co/users/Chartist....good luck, success does not come overnight.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
john that link does not work. is there another one to look at as i am very interested to learn.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
JJ, Chartist appears to be a dedicated, passionate, talented, knowledgeable , FULL TIME trader who therefore deserves his success. The newbies who think that they can replicate his apparent success without these attributes and the effort have another thing coming. I hate to think how many "traders" have lost their deposits on their homes or lost all of their student loans because they thought that they could turn their 50k into million by lunch time the next day. When I say "SLOWLY" I mean 15-20% is ample to create vast RELATIVE wealth over time. At 19%, one can double ones wealth every 4 years. Investing and trading will achieve this, BUT one must put in the effort. I can assure you, that investing is very boring and it takes a lot of effort to NOT do anything but monitor ones investments. Patients is certainly an attribute that a long term investor AND trader requires in abundance. Investors and traders just have different strategies that should suit their respective personalities. I couldn't care less if the majority of investors/traders out-perform me. Achieving MY financial goals is what really matters.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
For the first time ever I agree with you. Trading like every start up business has its dangers. The biggest diffrence with trading is there is always a custormer, there is always a fair price and it is not in itself dependent on human relationships for success. That allow you to dirrect all your resourse toward the one single goal of extracting a profit. That is a huge advantage in trading. The biggest down side is its abstract and our minds dont deal in abstracts well. The key is very much about knowing yourself, your own attributes and to taylor a stratergy around that. In that regard you have done well. The boring, low skill, buy and leave really suits you.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Respect needed on both sides
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
John, why do you say "low skill" - you really think long term investors are idiots, hey? We all know what you think of the most successful investor of our times. I think that is unfair to say and dont you think you should have respect for super-successful long term investors as well as traders?
0 Kudos
BRE
Regular Contributor
Come on guys, lets play nice. We don't need an either or approach to "investing" I'm quite happy making 20% per annum holding stocks long term and making 20% per month trading the ALSI. There's merits in both methods. I don't know why the buy and hold investors think there's no "proven strategies" for trading because there are, one just needs time to develop them. We often hear about this 95% failure rate but the truth of the matter is it's all about risk and risk management and for me that's what most newbies miss ... you can't trade with your deposits on your home or your student loan; you risking your future while you trying to develop a trading strategy that suits your personality. What better solution then to invest in stocks for the long term and trade with a very limited capital until you're comfortable with trading?
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
I'm quite happy making 20% per annum holding stocks long term and making 20% per month trading the ALSI. Responsibility comes with knowledge. Newbies read this statement and reckon that investing is a waste of time. Who wants 20% a YEAR when one can get 20% a MONTH. Name one trader that has this record over the long term. Simon has mentioned on a number of occasions that 90% of traders lose. Simon has also stated that ELITE traders earn 30%+ (after all costs) a year. I assume that elite means perhaps the top 1% of all traders or 10% of the winners. A bell curve on traders' performance will be heavily skewed to the left. The winning traders win BIG, no doubt. 20% a month, you sure that's not an error BRE?
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
John do you have a long term portfolio? By the way, I LOVE BORING. The more bored I get, the more convinced I am of investing correctly.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
As for investing and trading, it's each to their own. The last time I checked the top 100 on the Forbes list was EXCLUSIVELY populated by long term shareholders in quality businesses. 1.SPRINT.. 2.GATES....3.BUFFETT......all long term investors in their businesses. And it took them decades to get there, not by lunch time tomorrow.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
The one characteristic that so-called traders seemingly have in common is exceptionally brittle egos...and a constant need for adulation and acknowledgement if comments on this forum are anything to go by..also interesting that the "investors" hardly ever feel the need to boast about their returns, market prowess or materialistic achievement. "I have just bought a house in this suburb just down the road from you know who or drive this make of car"..it is rather sad really. And then you get the quacks with poor maths and/or rather selective memories who brag about 1000%+ annual returns..lol.
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
The question now remains: How many long term investors were day traders once? and then vica versa. The fact remains only the pretty smart ones really make it as traders. So well done to those traders who persists and make money. I try to respect and be mindful of ideas I dont agree with almost in a jealous way!
0 Kudos
BRE
Regular Contributor
Responsibility rests with the individual. Taking responsibility for your own trades goes a long way to becoming a successful trader. And no 20% per month is not a typo. Does that mean investing is a waste of time? If you can stomach the risk to make 20% per month then it might seem that it is. Can you compare investors' success with traders' success? Is there an institution that keeps records of people's trades like they do with investors? I don't know and I do know a few other traders but I don't know their portfolios because I don't care about what they do. It's what I do that matters. I don't know what Simon bases his stats on, could be SSFs or warrants with lower leverage and lower risk that the ALSI that Chartist trades, and when you talking high leveraged instruments like ALSI futures percentage gains become less significant while risk becomes much more significant. If you look at it logically, one ALSI contract costs R17,500 and 20% of that is only R3,500, which is 350 points a month and less than 20 a day. Is it easy? NO! Is it possible? YES!
0 Kudos
BRE
Regular Contributor
hehe, that's so very true. I think it's got something to do with most of them being gamblers, picking tops and bottoms and trading against the trend, but that's just my opinion. :)
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
LOL.. its not that the long term guys have stronger egos.. its just they never actually have anything to brag about!!! but serriously you okes really are taking this way to serriously..I aspire to have a buy and hold portfolio, not because its exciting but because that startergy only works when you have the excessive cashflows to know you will never need the capital invested..that is what is actualy the common attribute between the forbes top 100.. they have so much cash they never have to sell assets..
0 Kudos