Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Cheapest way to trade shares

IAM
Contributor
From my reading of the OST charges, the cheapest way to trade shares is using Single stock futures (SSF). Its 0.4% with a R50 min. Are there any costs that I'm not taking into account. VAT even seems to be included according to the OST costs page. What am I missing? CFDs seem to cost more with the market-makers commission and shares have all the statutory charges. Assuming the share I want to trade has a SSF, is it the best means of trading that share?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
stores
Super Contributor
I need to contact the help desk to see if I am missing something, as when I was doing my 2013 tax return I found out that I am paying about R200 for each deposit/withdrawal I make into and out of my account. I need to understand this clearly, coz I think I am getting ripped off. Also looking at monthly statements 2102-2013 I was sometimes charged R99/ month and on a couple of months R149/month.
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
I need to contact the help desk to see if I am missing something, as when I was doing my 2013 tax return I found out that I am paying about R200 for each deposit/withdrawal I make into and out of my account. I need to understand this clearly, coz I think I am getting ripped off. Also looking at monthly statements 2102-2013 I was sometimes charged R99/ month and on a couple of months R149/month.
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Sorry about the duplication above..Remember trading is brick by brick and also that bank charges also interfer with my greasy breakfasts for R19 at the local SPUR.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you also pay R50+vat per trade .. and remember of course interest .. CFDs is 0.35% and the R50+vat and interest
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
The biggest cost to me with SSF is not being able to place a Stop Loss.
0 Kudos
Pluto
Contributor
Sharenet have an new offering of 0.3% with a R100 minimum on shares. This is the cheapest rate in SA at the moment. SSF's - you need to take into account the daily interest paid on long positions.
0 Kudos
IAM
Contributor
Been looking at it, there is alot less liquidity and the spread is bigger with SSFs, so the extra cost you pay for the others may in fact be worth it.
0 Kudos