Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Childrens education fund?

Chutney
Occasional Contributor
Hi Guys, the wife and and are thinking of a education fund for the future kiddies......any suggestions? just want a slow monthly deduction and obviously a growth of this fund....maybe a ETF or satrix bundle...looking for long term steady growth as it will be a saving vehicle over the long term. i heard the RSA government actually runs a specific education fund and will pay nearly 60% interest on the accumulated funds when the fund is paid out! anybody heard of this? i heard it on a finance talk show but cant find it on the internet and cant remember the name! thanks. C.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, geat fund .. not going to knock the lights out or be enough coz of limits .. but they give you free money ..
0 Kudos
gareth01
Regular Contributor
Why not a high yielding property unit trust (SA Corp) or property loan stock (Redefine/Growthpoint). It wont shoot the lights out in terms of share price racing in the short term (but longer term it will perform), plus you are getting a high dividend yield (8% and above). Also it is not as volatile as other shares in other industries....either this (as and when you have the cash flow) or satrix 40 etc. I dont like unit trusts for kids - just trailing brokerage costs.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
My sentiments exactly. Or some of the more solid blue chips, pick 3 or 4 with high div yields and buy periodically on the dips. If you have less than R10k per installment, then use Standard Bank's Auto Share Invest scheme - a very low cost solution for buying and holding
0 Kudos
MAGICIAN
Frequent Contributor
Just be careful about the tax implications of the property stocks - Redefine, Growthpoint, etc. They pay interest, not dividends, thus all interest is taxable.
0 Kudos
DawieB
Contributor
Thanks for the post on the fund. I agree with the sentiments on Unit trusts. 2nd worst investment type out there, just behind endowments (Liberty, OM, Sanlam and the like) but the 25% bonus of the Edu Fund makes a huge difference, and the fact that you can start it off with as low as R40 a month! Signing my 2 kids up today. Simply drink 2 less beers a month and it will be like nothing happend :) PS.. No investment available today can beat a min investment as low as R40 or R100 a month... Satrix's viable minimum is at least R500...
0 Kudos