Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Choose wisely long term?

asylum
Super Contributor
Just had a look at some top 40 shares performance over the last 10 years and i was quite suprised at the results i took only 4 shares over that 10 year period.. 1) Agl + 144 % ... 2) SAB + 216%... MTN 1059%.... ACL + 2389% that quite scary.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Werner_1
Super Contributor
yip, i did the same. quite interesting, but some of those gains i dont know how easily they could happen again, e.g. MTN is actually a relatively new company, dont think they will get that return in the next ten years, i think they larger now than 10 years back and future growth would be more stable. but i could be wrong. its a excellent business with huge african potential, but what i did yesterday was compare JPM (JPMorganChase) and SBK (Standard Bank) over the past 10 years, just check that out, even when calculating SBK in USD terms SBK did phenominally better, and this is an huge established business. I just am quite exited to see what our market does over the next 10 years, i am ready for the action!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Asylum, just thought, that calculation is possibly without dividends, how do you think it would look with dividends, even better! I really like our market here in SA and think we very luck as the growth is quite good as emerging market, i am sure it will return after this crisis and we will all be happy again... thanks for the post, very interesting!
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
i took the figures on this site as far as i know it is without the divi.
0 Kudos