Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Christmas present

Wizard
Super Contributor
Instead of buying R10000 worth of toys for your child, this year invest half with an asset manager that will have an average performance of 25% over 50 years. That R5000 will become R350mil!! Take half away to discount inflation and the little one will never be more proud of u!! ;)
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Not applicable
Eish Wiz!!!, Im not a dad yet but my child will be lucky to get R500 worth of presents.
0 Kudos
Chubby
Occasional Contributor
Example of such a fund manager..guaranteed performance??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Good point ! but try explain that to a 8 year old
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
http://www.allangray.co.za/ Look at that graph. That is a performance over 30 years!
0 Kudos
Chrzaszcz
Contributor
At 10, my son agreed (reluctantly) to have half his pocked money investd. A year later, he realized the only way he can get his quad bike is if he keeps up with his investment. This year he asked me to increase his investment to 3/4 of his pocket money so he can get his quad quicker...
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Great Kid. Ours is constantly asking for a loan for the bike - he needs it now. He'll do chores to earn extra money later .....
0 Kudos
WBuffet
Contributor
Mine is 10 years old and dead cert on PS3, although he has PS2. He reckons that the value he will derive from PS3, i.e. searching for "cheats" on the Internet etc. mastering the damn games will be worth more than a 1000 times the R6000 invested.
0 Kudos
Ega
Super Contributor
Scolded my son once when he had spent all the money I'd given him, "What do you have to show for it", I asked.

"Nothing except the smile on my face", he replied

0 Kudos
Not applicable
I made the mistake of explaining gearing to my 10 year old
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I am reminded of what that great poofter Wilde said...."the young think that money is everything when they are old they know it" ...God life is about living.....why wait till you are almost dead till you can enjoy it....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Who was it that said "I've spent most of my fortune on wine, women and song. The rest I wasted."
Whoever said that should have been my mentor.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
SKI Spend Kinds Inherence, for tomorrow Africa may get you! Praise Discovery Life.
0 Kudos
Maddog
Regular Contributor
I started with STB bank two years ago and my son got R4000 which i invested in shares his now worth R29000 if i could only do that with my money
0 Kudos
am_1
Frequent Contributor
Hey Wiz, do your time value of money calculations. I think your kid will prefer a quad bike today, to auction on ebay in 2057 and retire
0 Kudos