Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Class action when can one use it

Not applicable
According to the internet class action arises when people with a common grievance hire a lawyer to take action for them as a group. This is still small in South Africa, but seems to hve benefits. Can one get compensation for individuals. eg a whole lot of people are annoyed with a call centre. Can the group get compensation for individual members for time wasted, pain and suffering, etc?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
striker
Super Contributor
. what we need in SA is a class action against our floundering govt.
0 Kudos
Penny_Pincher
Super Contributor
Agreed, the waters haven't really been tested in this country but perhaps it's time.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
There was a reasonably successful class action against Cape PLC for the Asbestos claims. Reasonable in that only the actual miners were compensated (the amount also being debatable), and not any of the secondary contaminated people - like the wives and childred who inhaled their father's asbestos dust at home. Still it was successfull in that they won, or settled at least.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Just one party, really. I'm keen.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Fair enough, but I don't think anyone has ever actually been able to file a class action lawsuite due to pain and suffering caused from spending large amounts of time being stuck in an IVR queue.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks for info people. I have made a class action group (you control the messages as it is unmoderated) at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ClassActionSouthAfrica/ You can join free in seconds and suggest your own class action. It was read out on safm yesterday and I am advertising it in other ways. This is a chance for people to get class action a boost in South Africa. A way to get people together for particular class actions.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
class action largely a waste of time, if you lookign to profit .. sure it'll hurt the company, but a recent case in teh US, those sueing via class action got just under $5 after all expenses and 7 years of trial ..
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
would be better off owning a share in the legal firm handling the class action...
0 Kudos