Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Closing auction

sponono
Super Contributor
Can never understand traders/investors/people. they dont buy/sell the stock the whole day but then come closing auction time they put a bid/offer that is way above/below the last traded price, what is the point of all this. Why would you bid FSR at 3141 or bid it at 2818 when the last traded price was 2964?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
barry_1
Super Contributor
Not always,but some times a broker is filling an order for a special client or some times rounding out an order to a specific level of shares wanted
0 Kudos
Dr_Phopho
Contributor
They are hoping that you would desperately sell/buy at the lower/higher price
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
I usually dont trade before 10 or after 4:30 due to volatility, so they cant catch me, lol
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Some clients does not want to particpate in the share price violatility during the day, but rather settle for Closing Auction price.
0 Kudos
Dr_Phopho
Contributor
Well, I make money off that volitility. I suppose I'm safe
0 Kudos
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
U get lucky sometimes as I was in 2010with Stxdiv .Had a bid in at 190+ and it was trading at 160 or so..........Check out the tjaart.........
0 Kudos
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
U get lucky sometimes as I was in 2010with Stxdiv .Had a bid in at 190+ and it was trading at 160 or so..........Check out the tjaart.........Gnome sane
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Gnome sane .. page88 lurker or poster ??
0 Kudos