Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Closing prices

Herms
Contributor
Hi there everyone. I am busy designing a Excel spreadsheet that will give me a few indicators on the stance of a share. I would like to import daily closing prices of the TOP 40 and MidCap shares when I activate a Macro. The problem is that I can't find a source that will give me all of this data on one page. Moneyweb's watchlist service only allows 20 share-quotes and OST's watchlist service only allows 50. I am also not keen to use my OST account as a result of security reasons. Does anybody here know of a source of data that will give me what I want. I would prefer that this is a free service as this spreadsheet is only to have some fun with technical trading as this is the course that I'm studying at the moment. Thank you in advance!!
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
set up mulitple watch lists
0 Kudos
Herms
Contributor
I did that thank you. But is it safe to import data from OST using Excel? Sorry for my lack of knowledge about these things. Thanks by the way!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
When downloading from OST to Excel worksheets there are columns that one cannot use in any calculations because they are padded with spaces. Formatting to numbers does not work. If you go into share filter, any prices in the thousands are padded with blanks, as are one year historical volumes and trading values. You cannot for instance find max and mins. I have asked OST a week ago to change it back to how it used to be, but have had no response from them and things have not changed. How does one make oneself heard!? As to security when importing data, I have never had a problem.
0 Kudos