Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Coal price to rise 150-200%

asylum
Super Contributor
New York - The price of coking coal, a key ingredient in steelmaking, is expected to rise by 150% to 200%, driving up steel prices further, the head of the world's largest steel manufacturer, ArcelorMittal, said on Wednesday.
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Preston
Super Contributor
Also excellent news for BHP Billiton
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Not such excellent news for Eskom tho. . . or for those BIL smelters for that matter.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Only after i get my answer.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Eskom generates about 90% of its power from coal, ergo the coal price goes up and the more than 50% price increase Eskom says it needs might look puny. BIL smelters use massive amounts of electricity etc etc. And never mind BIL, what about the massive across the board inflation for the rest of us. All in all, more expensive coal is bad news.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Mittal was only justifying another steel price hike that he is proposing. News should be taken with a pinch of salt...
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
ergo? were you sukkeling to spell goes, or just er, or were you feeling pretentious?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Just feeding my ego, ergo, I used the word ergo.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
nah yuo dont justify a price hike without some substance i think mittal have had enough run in with competition board.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
nah you dont justify a price hike without some substance i think mittal have had enough run in with competition board.
0 Kudos
Plonky
Super Contributor
Well... that could be good news for the coal producers. Coal of Africa (CZA) has coking coal reserves near the Exxaro Coking coal mine (Tshikondeni) in Limpopo. If the price of coking coal goes up, then these producers will benefit from it. Coking coal is very scarce, and usually does not go to Eskom. Thermal coal goes to Eskom which is produced in the Witbank coalfields by Anglo Coal, BHP and Xstrata.
0 Kudos
CAPITALIST_RUNN
Frequent Contributor
Project Director can assist but I believe its also the low quality high sulphur thermal coal that Escom burns! A large portion Mittal's production at Vanderbijlpark Works uses electricity and not coking coal!
0 Kudos