Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Coded my first automated trading system

Not applicable
On an FXCM demo account. They give you C# libraries and you code your trading system to hook up to it. I implemented John's 3 block system as test, and must say it hasn't been very profitable so far on the EUR/USD. I'll run it a couple of days more to see if the last couple of days weren't abnormally turbulent days. Also I need to vary block size and price polling times a bit to see if I can fine tune it.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Ninja
Super Contributor
Best systems are the simple ones......I personally am a huge huge huge fan of the RSI indicator....try the below strat in conjunction with MA / BB, it delivers profits time and time again, especially if you are happy to scalp with it as I do......downside very limited, easy to take 10-50 points on forex scalping daily with this......hope you enjoy. RSI Rollercoaster Sometimes simplicity is the best of all paths. The relative strength indicator (RSI), invented by Welles Wilder, is one of the oldest as well as one of the most popular tools of technical analysis. In fact, if there was a hall of fame for technical analysis indicators, RSI would certainly be accorded top-five status. Its ability to measure turns in price by measuring turns in momentum is unmatched by almost any other tool in technical analysis. The standard RSI settings of 70 and 30 serve as clear warnings of overbought and oversold territory, and the RSI rollercoaster is a setup that we've developed to take advantage of these turns in the market. The purpose of the RSI rollercoaster is to harvest points from range-bound currency pairs. First and foremost, this setup works best in a range environment when overbought and oversold readings are far more likely to be true signals of a change in direction. Secondly, as we will see from several examples in this chapter, the setup is much more accurate on the daily charts than on smaller time frames like hourly charts. The primary reason for this difference is that daily charts incorporate far more data points into their subset and, therefore, turns in momentum tend to be more meaningful on longer time frames. Nevertheless, the asymmetrical structure between risk and reward in this setup makes even the shorter time frames worth considering. Just keep in mind that although the setup will fail far more frequently on the shorter-term hourly charts than on the daily ones, the losses will generally be far smaller, keeping the overall risk manageable. Part 2 High Probability Trading Setups High Probability Trading Setups for the Currency Market 41 e-book Rules for a Long Trade 1. RSI reading must be less than 30. 2. Wait for an up candle to form and close with an RSI reading greater than 30. 3. Go long at market on the open of the next candle. 4. Place your stop at the swing low. 5. Exit half of the position at 50% of the risk and immediately move the stop on the rest to breakeven. 6. Exit the rest of the position when one or the other following condition is met: a. Stopped at breakeven b. Trade first moves into overbought territory marked by RSI readings of greater than 70 and then eventually drops from that zone. As soon as RSI declines below 70, sell at market on the close of that candle. Rules for a Short Trade 1. RSI reading must be greater than 70. 2. Wait for a down candle to form and close with an RSI reading less than 70. 3. Go short at market on the open of the next candle. 4. Place stop at the the swing high. 5. Exit half of the position at 50% of the risk and immediately move the stop on the rest to breakeven. 6. Exit the rest of the position when one or the other following condition is met: a. Stopped at breakeven b. Trade first moves into oversold territory marked by RSI readings of less than 30 and then eventually rises out of that zone. As soon as RSI increases above 30, buy at market on the close of that candle. The key to this RSI strategy - versus the traditional interpretation of RSI, which simply trades overbought or oversold levels - is to first look for a reversal candle, which provides us with a sign of exhaustion before taking the trade. This way, we are prevented from prematurely picking a top or bottom and instead wait for indicator confirmation. Note that the RSI rollercoaster is designed to squeeze as much profit as possible out of the turn trade. Instead of immediately closing out a position when it moves from oversold to overbought condition, the RSI rollercoaster keeps the trader in the market until price shows a sign of exhaustion. Sometimes a strong move will generate multiple consecutive periods of overbought RSI readings, and this setup is specifically intended to catch part of these potentially profitable moves. Note Part 2 High Probability Trading Setups High Probability Trading Setups for the Currency Market 42 e-book also that the RSI rollercoaster is almost always in the market, as the rule for the liquidation of a long trigger is the creation of a fresh short position. The only two times this setup stays out of the market is when the trader is stopped out of his position on a false signal or when he is stopped out at breakeven on the second half of his position. Now let's
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanx Ninja. Am a big fan of your strategy, its just that John's 3 block was easiest to code for an automation greenhorn - as it is just based on price action and no RSI moving averages, etc. But indicators and ma's are the next challenge.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
block size is everything...too small and you lose money to big and you dont make anything...very keen to see the results...as I have never tried it on anything other than alsi...also try only enter in direction of trend
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hmmm, can actually make the block size something like a fifth of the previous day's ATR, or something like that. Will keep on playing and tuning it.
0 Kudos
TOPIX
Regular Contributor
Vitorc, have a test at 3 Blocks = 2 ATR's. Your blocks should not be too small to avoid whipsaws
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Started out with a tiny block size - 10 pips. Could almost see smoke coming from the PC as the program was entering and closing trades. Lost $2000 in a day's trading. Great fun.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I hope that was paper trades...there are a couple of simple tweeks you can make... first is block size. Second is trade only in dirrection of trend so enter on three block up exit on three blocks down (but dont go short)..wait for trend to change or enter on first three blocks up (long with long trend)...what I would do if its paper trading, is run sytem with different block set ups..so 50 pips/80/120/150/200 and see what suits market best..look forward to hearing results
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yes it was a paper trade. But have now moved away from Order2Go to the Strategy Trader platform, which is like moving from a tricicle to a Ferrari. Will try to redo the 3 block strategy on ST, but there are so many other bright toys in the store, uncle.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi John. Please give the explanation of the "John's 3 block system". I've looked at your previous posts, but can't find it.
0 Kudos