Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Comatose market.

striker
Super Contributor
..Question - is this the lull before a Bull storm or a Bear storm ?
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
kwagga
Super Contributor
I think it's neither. I think slow growth for sometime to come will result in pro active markets looking for direction for some time to come.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
... so Kwagga as an investor ,are you just sitting tight ? As a trader how does one play a market with no direction ?
0 Kudos
Maddog
Regular Contributor
Divident yield is important to me know not growth
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Slow attempts at growth and then a cacalysmic crash for October, and then a Fed-sponsored ramp job to finish the year.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Investors should sit tight - hopefully on equity that pays divi's. Traders is in for a hard time. Getting quickly in and out of this market with small profit margins seems the way to go for the time being.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
.Kwagga - what,s your view on prop. investment co's.I've recently lightened up on industrials and bought into them.Div.yields are good at around 8 - 9.5%.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
You mean INTEREST yields, as they're taxable.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
louisg, Do you know why they are taxable? I assumed that the listed company pays tax before they declare the dividend. Why is it different with property companies? They would be much more attractive if they declared a tax free dividend.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
The payouts are interest not dividends and are taxable at your marginal tax rate if you trading/investing in your personal capacity. Keep in mind that the first R22300 of interest is tax free for this financial year for persons under 65. Over 65 = R32000.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
even if you pay tax on them, they are still an attractive investment. Redefine is currently giving me an 8% yield - to me I think that listed property is a far more attractive option that buying property - better yields, no tennant hassles, easy in and out, no transfer duty, estate agent fees - and I still get the capital gain - brilliant.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Striker, I share Skaaptjop's sentiment on listed property companies, but owning your own properties has it's initial tax benefits as a write off if still under bond and a faily secure investment if kept in a trust. There are many ways to skin a cat.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
.. skaaptjop - also bought some RDF as well as some EMI and VKE.
0 Kudos