Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Cometh Monday.....

barry_1
Super Contributor
....and we traders are going to be like kids let loose in a candy store and told that we can have all we can carry!!!!!....As u know us traders have our long term memory shot away!Can't remember more than what happend five minutes ago!....The trigger is of course the promise of another rate cut next month and the one there after,not this one....Took some time for the message to sink in though....Probably only a respite from the bear market and in next to no time shares will be overbought....Best keep those stop-losses in place....I'm going to go for Amplats and financial warrants ,also old mutual.!
0 Kudos
32 REPLIES 32
Not applicable
Platinum up to almost $1000! i sold Anglo on Friday, looks like it was a bit premature. I think i might join you on the Amplats trade
0 Kudos
Not applicable
That was a fantastic "Monday Markdown Madness" sale in the opening half-hour!
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
have you ouks even read the research on AMS? The view is for a forward price of 5200c p/s 12 month projection... that's another 87% drop predicted. Then again, AMS is up more than 10% the last week so go figure! Anyway, I'm not sure I'd go long on this one.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well a massive drop in earnings is forcast for FY09
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
i of course am referring to a call warrant now....the fall in dividends in my opinion only ,has been discounted in the price of the share....going forward the price of shares, seem these days to determine the platinum price.$1000 seems to be a phycological level,if broken there should be further upside in the medium term....i'm aware that the regression line is still showing down,so there is likely to be more weakness in the medium term.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I can understand a drop in earnings precipitating a drop in price, but 87%?!? The analyst must have made a typo...

IMP appears to be trading at a lower P/E than AMS. Barry, is there any particular reason you favour AMS?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Only that its now coming up to its final now and that should also move the price...With a warrant i'll sell before the LDT date,just to be on the safe side....That is why in the stockpicker competition i chose IMP as its final is nearer end year and shares usually perform better around their finals.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
not a typo .. 5200c is the 1 year target ..
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
No final divi which says something about F09 prospects...also cutting back capex to preserve cash....the global auto industry is in a dismal state with factory shutdowns etc. This is a short! omo
0 Kudos
Not applicable
AMS..Final results declared today..No Final Dividend!!!
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Means all money earnt will be kept in the company,to help with any sudden expenses,good stratergy on their part.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Ag pleez, those year predictions are the biggest load of b*llocks. From the same ananlysts who were falling over themselves to warn punters that they were about to lose half their money in six months?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Now if you could find me an analyst who predicted last year that AMS would lost 78% I'd be impressed. Anyone? ANYONE?
0 Kudos
HiSo
Frequent Contributor
If the price target for AMS is 50 odd, is that indirectly implying that the smaller platinum producers are gonna go bust ? Surely if the circumstances (both external and internal) that would suggest a R50 share price for AMS were to be transposed to the smaller producers most of them would not be able to stay afloat ? Have the analysts done any 1 year price projections on any of the other plat producers ?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
If you are bullish on platinum..may I suggest the amplatsprefs.fullly convertable and they the first to get a div..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
for what its worth, these analyst forecasts show significant differences in Amplats 2009 vs 2010 forecasts vs implats. How they come to their 2010 forecasts, i don't know. As for the juniors, who knows - Wesizwe needs to find something like R5 billion I think? Northam took a massive hit in EPS, but still profitable.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yiiiikes, 5200c? I have a friend who is still holding from the days of 148000c? Bought more at 40000c coz he said it was cheap. If this is true, I feel sorry for him. Div news worries me too.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I agree it is a good strategy to not declare a dividend in this environment, but doesn't that negate your strategy of holding until just before the LDT? Do you still expect the price to ramp up at this time?
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
Why didnt he sell?
0 Kudos