Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Companies earnings

Not applicable
Where can I see when companies earnings are released? Bloomberg has a daily calendar for US, UK, Japanese and other countries but not sure where to find one for SA companies. Thanks
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Krypt0n1te
Occasional Contributor
Tabs at the top of the page. Tools -> Company Info -> Next results due
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
AlbertoJ werent you the one asking whether to go study CA or go into trading?
Have you made a decision yet?
Looking at all the questions you ask Im hoping you choose the career choice your more passionate about. You'll never regret following your passion!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I was indeed BC01. I have realized that I'm not passionate about accounting and recently had spoken to a friend of mine who started articles at Ernst & Young. It is definitely not the field or something that I will enjoy, at least not the auditing side of things. I have decided to take 1 year off and decide what route to take. I might take on the CFA and I have also been interested in CMT (Chartered Market Technician) in order to learn more about technical analysis. That's something that I find passion and interest in.
0 Kudos
Harathke
Regular Contributor
Firstly, no one does a CA because they enjoy it! They do it for money and to open doors. Secondly, no market professional respects a CMT, though some of the retail clients do. Thirdly, CFA sounds like it will suit you more for where you are probably wanting to head, though it will be difficult. Don't take a year off to do nothing, spend this year studying the CFA material.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Understandable, I'm not going to study something I don't enjoy just for money and work my ass off just so that I can earn more money. I much rather concentrate on something I enjoy. As for CMT, yes its not highly recognized but I would do it to improve my knowledge not to gain job opportunities. As for the CFA, yes I am interested in doing but I have been studying and working for the past 4 years so 1 year off will come in very handy to actually live a little. I'm only 23 so in no hurry to become a workaholic.
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
alberto, cfa offers very very little in TA, if u plan on doing it soley to trade ones own money, the respect that the course has in the investment community shld not matter much, but rather wat you plan to get out of it.... i plan on studying CMT once i complete the studying portion of CFA, was also orginally planing on doing CA while studying at varsity, but never did articles..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi Marc11, thanks for your comment. I have learnt that I'm not passionate or interested in the accounting field but I also don't want to be a portfolio manager where the CFA seems to be concentrating in mainly. Equity analysis and trading is where I'm more interested in.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I have a lot of similar experience having worked in different divisions of PwC and EY.
I'll warn you now that those firms are full of politics. The work itself wasnt rewarding for me at all, everytime I wanted to do test for certain things they told me all I have to do is the same thing as last year (even though more than often I could prove last years testing was stupid and wrong).
I have also gone for CFA level 1, it is very interesting...but it will only help you if you want to get a job in that industry. Personally I like working for myself.

I know that a lot of people here will tell you to go after the money (whichever route they argue). The truth from my experience is firstly the money is not important, you will make money whichever route you go. In all honesty though trading will provide you with the most, having been through several careers myself it is the only career I have found where one can turn 70k into 700k in a year.

What is important is you need to ask yourself what is it you enjoy and what is it you enjoy about the markets?
If you like financial analysis, go for the CFA route, if you enjoy dealing with businesses and day to day operations, setting up company reports, go CA.
Personally I enjoy learning about investments and at the same time I do technical and mathematical analysis on the JSE to find statistical edges..and then I trade that.
I like learning some of the more intricitate structures like Zero-cost collars and hedging - but you dont need any of this to do well (the one SA trader made R9mil with R 800k in 2 years looking at a blue and a red line).

You dont need a qualification for the markets (like CMT) most of the stuff youll learn you can find for free on the internet or just ask.

Sorry for the long message, hope it helps.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Completing your articles contract is very important. My salary virtually doubled when i started my first post article job.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
From what I have been hearing, from article clerks and also mates that have finished their articles, when working in an audit firm the work becomes very monotonous and repetitive. That's not for me. I need something that will challenge me. I enjoy the financial analysis side of the markets more than the daily operations of a busy although that is necessary in order to run a profitable and well run business. I've always wanted to work for my self but I need some experience and also save in order to start. That's what I'm doing at the moment. I believe you can make money in the markets but I need the experience 1st and also knowledge. Studying further the CA route will not improve my knowledge in this field. Thank you so much for the feedback, this is exactly what I need. To hear from people with past experience. Its a pretty big decision I have to make but I don't want to be unhappy and follow the CA route just because I want to earn 50k month and work in a field I'm not happy and passionate about.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Good luck on your decision.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
blue and red line....now that is probably all you need, not any CFA, CMT, ANC...do all the other stuff to increase your income sources, but to trade or invest, all you need to know is the blue and red line and sensible money management....price will take care of the profits
0 Kudos