Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Company financial reporting

Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
As our stock exchange has become quite sizeable and ordinary citizens start to trade more on line, should all companies not start reporting on a quarterly basis so that the no-professional investors have full transparency as to what's going on in these businesses. Professional fund managers can go meet with these executives, but the ordinary investor cannot which puts us at an unfair position of not having total insight. A lot can happen in six months.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
koos2
Super Contributor
should all companies not start reporting on a quarterly basis so that the no-professional investors have full transparency Answer is No because of costs, as to all these meatings you suggest, the answer is ABL, didnt help a hellova lot did it?
0 Kudos
byrant89
Occasional Contributor
Has anybody (as a retail investor) tried to arrange a meeting with investor relations? Most companies might surprise you and grant you a meeting maybe even with executives (otherwise just with investor relations). The larger ones might not be willing to meet but may take emailed questions.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
agreed, I use to do it all the time back in the day .. now I know the CEOs so it easier, but before they knew me I was never turned down albeit sometimes via email
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I have to say the Investor Relations of a respectable company normally puts in the effort... I always got replies for every question I asked, this isnt only from small companies, Standard Bank was willing to make a call with the CFO for me, I got answers from JPMorganChase in USA even, and Woolies is very helpful, the list goes on... Just send them your questions and you will see how cool the guys/girls are on the other end.
0 Kudos
Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
All well, but, why can't they produce audited financials quarterly? We can then make up our own minds regarding the health of the business. I've worked for a public company so it has nothing to do with massive additional costs. Management accounts are being produced monthly anyway.
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
I fully agree with you Parttimer. A phone call or email to a CEO or the like even with a positive response, will never compare to a regular look at the accounts. Even a regular newsletter to shareholders could be considered. Many companies do it for staff but keep shareholders in the dark for one 6 month period to another. The thought police (media) in their droves all concentrate on the big boys only.
0 Kudos
Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
Our money is as good as a professional fund managers. Do it like in the US, report quarterly and we can see the trends and numbers ourselves. 6 months is two long and why should anyone have an inside edge when it comes to a public listed company.
0 Kudos