Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

Community

Share knowledge. Find answers. Ask questions.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Computer lesson please

Highlighted
Not applicable
Can someone give a poor ignorant farmer a lesson in computers. - If I go to a youtube link like the one skaaptjop has posted, I get the webpage and a black screen, but the video never comes up. Help!
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Several possiblities. Is flash player up and running? Try hitting f5. Are you using Firefox. Clear your history, cache, cookies etc.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
If I remember correctly, your connection wasn't too quick? Youtube is pretty rubbish on slow connections, sometimes just dropping the video halfway through, so yours might be an extreme version of that. I use a couple of internet connections and when I use iBurst (1MB/s) I get sad whenever there's a link to youtube. I think they've been 'optimizing' algorithms to save costs, and the result is a flakier video stream than before.

Which browser are you using?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable
Thanks guys. I've got Windows and Internet explorer. My connection is Painfully slow so I seldom even try to download videos or attend webinars. It is just that youtube does not even try. !
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Backup method is this:
1) Google "download youtube video" and use whichever solution you prefer. An obvious candidate is downloadyoutubevideo.org
2) You'll get a download link from them, which you can then download normally.
3) If the connect issues persist through normal download, use http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ to download the file. It'll generally always be able to download via a flaky connection, even if it has to claw every byte down from the internet using its bare hands. To download a file from a url, right-click the url and say "copy" (or similar), and then start free download manager and click the "+" to add a new download.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Btw, quality of the downloaded videos aren't always great, but you can try different downloady websites to see if you can find a good one. But still, you get to see the video.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Get a fast ADSL and keep the cattle from roaming about
0 Kudos