Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Computer lesson please

Not applicable
Can someone give a poor ignorant farmer a lesson in computers. - If I go to a youtube link like the one skaaptjop has posted, I get the webpage and a black screen, but the video never comes up. Help!
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
klapka
Super Contributor
Several possiblities. Is flash player up and running? Try hitting f5. Are you using Firefox. Clear your history, cache, cookies etc.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
If I remember correctly, your connection wasn't too quick? Youtube is pretty rubbish on slow connections, sometimes just dropping the video halfway through, so yours might be an extreme version of that. I use a couple of internet connections and when I use iBurst (1MB/s) I get sad whenever there's a link to youtube. I think they've been 'optimizing' algorithms to save costs, and the result is a flakier video stream than before.

Which browser are you using?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks guys. I've got Windows and Internet explorer. My connection is Painfully slow so I seldom even try to download videos or attend webinars. It is just that youtube does not even try. !
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Backup method is this:
1) Google "download youtube video" and use whichever solution you prefer. An obvious candidate is downloadyoutubevideo.org
2) You'll get a download link from them, which you can then download normally.
3) If the connect issues persist through normal download, use http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ to download the file. It'll generally always be able to download via a flaky connection, even if it has to claw every byte down from the internet using its bare hands. To download a file from a url, right-click the url and say "copy" (or similar), and then start free download manager and click the "+" to add a new download.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Btw, quality of the downloaded videos aren't always great, but you can try different downloady websites to see if you can find a good one. But still, you get to see the video.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Get a fast ADSL and keep the cattle from roaming about
0 Kudos