Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Contract code for microsoft and google

PSK
Occasional Contributor
Hi there, I am looking for SSF contract code for international derivatives listed and traded on the JSE. Specifically looking for microsoft and google. Any help is appreciated.
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Microsoft and Google are not listed on the JSE, you will need to trade these via a US account. just for interest, their codes are - Microsoft: MSFT (NASDAQ) and Google: GOOG (NASDAQ)
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
there are SSF listed , just not sure of the code
0 Kudos
PSK
Occasional Contributor
I have found the code (GOOG for Google). But I can't seem to find the International derivatives (IDX) under Standard Bank OST. Is it possible to trade IDX products using Standard Bank OST? Thanks
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
Unfortunately OST are not not party to these foreign listed SSFs. You have to trade through Deutsche bank. I think Investec are also involved. There is a link at JSE.co.za or something like that.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I just read that article, sorry, my comment was incorrect. also couldnt find the codes yet. quite interesting though, but i rather buy these from my US account, just got some 'Research in Motion' maker of BlackBerry the other day.
0 Kudos
theyoungster
Super Contributor
werner they good companies but have you considered the rand getting stronger over time and putting you at a disadvantage? if the rand goes from R7/$ to R6/$ which is likely during the world cup
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Why would the world cup have any effect on the rand ? The market has discounted that little inflow - estimated at R20 bil of cash long ago, which is by the way small in relation to foreign capital inflow in 2009 in our markets due to the dollar carry trade etc.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I dont have interest in buying MSFT or GOOG now, I dont know about MSFT, but GOOG is quite high, thats why i chose to invest in Research in Motion, very attractive in my opinion. I dont worry too much about the USD/ZAR exchange, my belief is that over long term the ZAR will weaken against the USD, even if inflation in USA moves higher, i think ours will always be higher, leading to the USD always being stronger, so over time USD is better than ZAR, so when good opportunities arise i would move cash over and like RIMM i believe has a very good growth prospect (just look at their new global branding strategy working) and this could be better growth than in some local companies that are quite high at the moment. And for interest, Research in Motion is actually Canadian so all revenues are actually calculated back to USD but originally are CAD which might be better than USD at this stage.
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
RIMM: competition very strong ie APPLE. Good buy for this price is 2shares of BRK.B which would be 100 shares in Feb - March 2010 and you are in partnership with Mr Buffet!! America is a big town so is their share market.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Their competition is high, but that will not change my thoughts of their future growth, solid business with excellent fundamentals, patriotic users who will not easily substitute the BB with anything else, not even iPhone, i know some guys that have both, iPhone and BB. Global branding working very well, all signs point to a very good company with excellent management who are also the largest owners and a very cool product.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
My personal take on these SSF's (linked to google & microsoft) is that they are going to be risky instruments. As derivative instruments, they are by definition short term, and now you will have to factor in additional items into the equation - namely exchange rate risk and the fact that all the real action takes place after hours on the JSE, which means you have potential for large gaps. Your strategy is going to be different to conventional short term technical trading
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Have you guys seen what happened to RIMM overnight? Earnings came out better than expected and in after-hours trade the price surged by 12%... Palm has about an 8% drop in after-hour trading price. RIMM is taking market share and has a very loyal customer-base.
0 Kudos
PSK
Occasional Contributor
Assuming OST offers this service(IDX products) what should be the ideal stratgey for a short term trader (not a daily trader)? As a traders we can come up with possible three or four strategies which might help all of us. Thanks for the contribution.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Buy low, sell high works for me.... (sorry, couldn't resist)
0 Kudos