Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Correction soon?

DEP
Super Contributor
Signs are all over the market. Expect a correction soon. I am a Bear at the moment. You?
0 Kudos
45 REPLIES 45
kr_pto
Super Contributor
um, what signs? please do enlighten us as to any signs that you see.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
Dep did you short the market again?
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
1. When there is too many bulls around and no bears. 2. P.E.'s at historical highs. 3. When fund managers warn investors that markets are unstainable. 4. When I am the only bear...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
DEP, except none of those 4 are currently in play.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Not yet, cannot find appropriate avenue, thanks.
0 Kudos
TJB
Contributor
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Elaborate on "not in play"
0 Kudos
el_torro
Regular Contributor
Have been bleeding while short but I agree with your sentiments - call me a fool, but at these levels, I'm looking at what the inherent value is of these shares - returns of 1%...??? Why would I ever want to invest anywhere else?
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
I can only find fair value in local Pref shares and offshore markets (non emerging markets).
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
Only time will tell if I'll be the one taking your money or you be the one taking my money.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Lots of bears around (kills 1 & 4), overall P.E.'s are NOT at historical highs & which fund managers? A couple in yesterdays crimes - but as a community not at all.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
I am taking no one money. I'm invested 50% offshore; 10% Pref shares; 4% property and 36% cash. Maximum I will short the market will be 2% of my portfolio. So don't worry, I am not gambling away my money...Just bearish on SA equity.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
So what are you long on?
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
What do you mean by yesterday's crimes?
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
So, Simon where are you finding value?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yesterday's crimes = sunday times.

long of lots, depends which portfolio, bias is NOT resource stocks albeit have some. Industrial, listed prop soem fins & international stocks (JSE listed stcoks that earn in foreigh currency and or operate lots in foreign lands.

You mention value, too that end I am not saying the JSE is cheap, but with earnings roaring ahead at around 20% (for top40 stocks) and their average PE around 17x we're not expensive yet. I work on PE below 10 = cheap and above 20 = expensive. So nearing the top, but heck the SP500 peaked with a PE at almost 30!

That all said, will we have a bear market? ABSOLUTELY, question is when and with respect many many people started positioning themselevs for the coming bear in 2005 and have lost out on massive upside. So I keep it simple and repsond to what is happening. When the bear arrives I will close naked trading longs, keep my very long term buy & holds and start going short in my derivative portfolio. But first I need to see a bear - for now things are going up.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
It is good to have different opinions about the market. Bulls Vs Bears. currently the bulls are winning. Lets keep it up.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Simon, no one can call the top or button of a market. However, having evaluated everything, at the end we must follow our inner feeling... Agree?
0 Kudos