Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Cost of SSFs

Not applicable
Please tell me if it is worthwhile to do intraday trading with SSFs.It seems to me that the cost is about 1% +R120/day[for buy +sell].Thank you
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
theyoungster
Super Contributor
why R120/day??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
R60 to buy and R60 to sell.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Don't forget to add the extra 2% of the daily transaction range for the spread (1% for buy & 1% for sell), and then the percentage of the daily transaction range that you are prepared to accept as risk, and then tell us if it is worth it. A simple answer, IMO, is no
0 Kudos
Not applicable
DWT securities charge R10 per contract per trade on TOP40 futures.. in other words after one point you already in the money
0 Kudos
Not applicable
How does PSG costs compare? any one dealt with them? they are running a SSF competition with a starting bal of 10k costs should be quite reasonable?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
who is dwt?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
absolute rubbish that you will be in the money after 1 pt. You still have to beat the spread
0 Kudos
_Marco_
Frequent Contributor
Can someone please help me out. Pretty new to ssf's as well. When buying the ssf, for example, i bought anglo gold @ 292. It's now trading @ 298. However on buying the ssf contract i noticed that even though the underlying was trading @ 292.50 on the open market, my futures contract was indicating a loss of -R400. Brokerage was only about R68 so i am uncertain as to where this -R400 comes into play. I haven't had time to go through the educational brochures but i will try to get through it at the end of this week, if someone could just indicate to me where this -R400 comes from. If i take my gearing ratio x (2%move in underlying) my profit % taking into account gearing should be round about 11.7%, however if i take the profit it is currently showing it's in the region of about 7%. So im guessing this -R400/-R450 is the difference.. what is that?
0 Kudos
_Marco_
Frequent Contributor
Think i figured it out.. taking the situation where i bought the futures contract when anglo gold was R292 on the open market and using the current market price of R298. 2.05% - 0.80 = 1.25% 1.25% x 5.71 = 7.14% 7.14% x Initial Margin = profit/Loss Is that the correct way in calculating it? I'm assuming this 0.80% is the difference between what std bank will buy/sell. If anyone can confirm i'd appreciate it.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
friendly advice .. close your position and read the docs .. when you know the product backwards enter again .. the 0.8% of underlying value is our fee and is in the spread .. also in the spread/futures price is interest and any dividend protection ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yes of co***** the spread ,if you want to get that technical now, which is 5 to 10 points normally
0 Kudos