Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Cricket --- Yes we did it again

Not applicable
Congrats to the SA Team for living up to the name "Chokers"
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
john_1
Super Contributor
chokers nothin..the ghost of Hansie lives..do you really believe cricket is clean...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Instead of crying into our beer, let's give the English their due in having played well or is it the Ausies who showed them the way in their recent series?
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
rather change the topic to rugby, far more enjoyable....
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Every time they are the favorites and Gibbs refuses to play cricket in his mind and they lose !!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Les rather say protea's - Smith who proved his worth!!!
0 Kudos
chas
Regular Contributor
Somebody please give Van Der Merwe and good tranquilizer before he goes out to bat again!
0 Kudos
deanmg
Contributor
In my opinion it boils down to preparation. All the other teams have played a bit of competitive cricket leading up to this tournament. We seem to think a couple warm up games and net sessions are good enough... we were wrong! Well done to Smithy though - somebody showed some of our South African grit!
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Well I was there - and the English really did field brilliantly. SA made a good attempt. Was just a pitty we didn't get more out of our opening batsmen, and then having a ball replacemenet half way through was also *****ty cos it really slowed our run rate. Overall, it was a good game.
0 Kudos
hippo
Contributor
saash, Smitty scored 141. Exactly how much do you expect the opener to make then? :-)
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
I loved the Poms good sportsmanship....Smithy had to waddle around like a cripple while Straus and co watched on....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think Gibbs tight shirt and his tatoos make him feel overconfident, and make him play stupid fancy shots
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
ah - just a few extra 6's :-) another 23 runs would have been just fine :-) It was a good partnership - and the run rate before the ball change was above Englands rate.
0 Kudos
hippo
Contributor
Or he was in a hurry to get back into that tub.....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think it's time we get some new face's in the side,Boucher,Kallis,Gibbs and co need to go. SA lack the killer instict to go out and put pressure on the opposition. India,Pakistaan, Australia and New Zealand have a few guy's who can take the game away from you in a few overs. Shah and Morgan showed us how to attack . Bring in guys like Loots and Bodi who seem to clear the boundry at will. We need a wake up call with team management, these guy's are to conservertive and scared to take chances and let some young players have a go. Look at the subcontinent teams how they manage to put guys in the national team from the age of 16 and 17. Parkistaan strike bowler only 17 gets Tendulkar's wicket, this just shows the confidence these selectors have in young talent.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The biggest problem was the bowlers yesterday who weren't disciplined. Hitting 300 in a chase under pressure was not too shabby.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
You would have not posted that if they won yesterday... they are N=1 in the world because of Kallis Gibbs and the like ...
0 Kudos
djw
Regular Contributor
I agree the mangement needs a good hiding. How can we have a warm up against a combined school X11(Which most players didnt play in!!!, a weakened Highveld Strikers X11 folowed by the West Indies? Aus play a 7 ODI series, India, NZ and Sri play a Tri NAtions and US!!!!!!! Just plain useless administrators who need to put down their double brandy and cokes and start doing some bloody work
0 Kudos
hippo
Contributor
I think we forget that the guys had a well-deserved break after a year that got them to no. 1 in both ODI and tests. The only problem in this tournament was that it happened too soon after the break and the team was under prpeared. But I would go long on them..... About Bodi and those other youngsters - there time will come .. if they be good enough..... Hitting sixes against a provincial side is a bit different from doing it in international. Ask young Morkel.....
0 Kudos